Thread: how i'm coping with intrusive thoughts

how i'm coping with intrusive thoughts

hey everyone. i've been looking on these forums for awhile and finally decided to join. i've been having intrusive and bizarre thoughts for a few months and have been trying all kinds of things to stop them but i kinda started using some techniques of my own.

1)i tell myself that the thought would be good to use in writing a film or movie. (look at it this way-people who have to write scary or violent movies have some of the same thoughts we do, but that doesnt mean they are going to do it!)

2)using a technique i call "Burn Out". i picture the thought as a flame and like fire, it will eventually burn out by itself but if i try to surpress, avoid, or replace the thought its like adding gas to it and its only going to get bigger.

3)distract myself and never let myself make excuses not to do something because of my intrusive thoughts.

4)taking natural supplements and exercising.(i refuse to take medication)

5)meditating and being aware, living in the now. not worrying about the past or the future as much

hope that helps some people out. i'm working on breaking the cycle of these thoughts and this has been helpful to me. peace and happiness to everyone. dont give up hope. cory dunaway
    Last edited by cdunaway; 12-03-08 at 03:51.

Re: how i'm coping with intrusive thoughts

Hi Cory,

I suffer with intrusive thoughts and your post is really helpful, thank you. Could you describe some of the thoughts that you have?

Hi Cory

Welcome to nmp

Thanks for that post, I thought it was really good - especially the thought burning away.

I have recently bought some books on mindfulness so I intend to read these once I have finished a CBT one I am reading right now.

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

hey shell, the kind of thoughts i get are so random it's almost hard to keep track of what they are. it's literally anything that my mind can think of and causes me distress that is intrusive. it almost seems like just because i have the thought that it makes it true(which is completley irrational).

some of the thoughts that passed were: (dont let these spike you though)
    1)what if i'm gay
    2)what if i hurt someone i love
    3)what if i get aids
    4)what if my food is poisoned
    5)what if people were possessed (lol that ones funny because i'm not even a religious person and i am learning buddhism and practicing it. i know 110% that the thought is COMPLETLEY IRRATIONAL but my mind has a bad habit i'm learning to break) No matter what thought or how bad i feel or felt.. i'm always thankful and polite to everyone else.

I can tell you this from experience of my thoughts....they are COMPLETLEY opposite of who you really are and your actual beliefs. The more i seemed to fight with the thoughts the more it seemed to be like a rock that hit my windshield and fighting would make the window "spider crack" and more and more thoughts would branch off of it like it was cracking.

Your can become obsessive about ANY thoughts and i'm starting to realize that more and more each day which is helping me let go of alot of these thoughts. I realized that the mind is very powerful and it takes time to take back control of it. Catching myself when i'm being negative has made huge improvements for me. I'm feeling better everyday and plan to keep climbing out of the hole i made. Read this thought and it should help you because adding humor to OCD or intrusive thoughts really helps turn it around. --If you had the intrusive though that ninja's were trying to attack you or that all people were pirates and it scared you for some reason...it would get instantly stuck to you most likely. that's my take on it lol i'm glad your reading about mindulness lilith because it's really helped me out. cheers everyone i'm about to eat go eat some sushi cory dunaway

Hi Cory,

Welcome to the Forum!!

You have made some great points.
    You will get loads of support and advice here.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

thanks chalky! its great to know theres a place for all of us to help each other out. i'll be sure to update on my progreess and give advice whenever i can.

Hi Cory,

Thank you for your post, it is very helpful. Definitely keep us updated on your progress as thread's like these really make me feel better and more at ease with the situation.

Hope you enjoyed your sushi.

Take care

Thread Information