Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please give me advice

Please give me advice

In December I had panic attacks and I was 2 times to emergency thinking that I had stroke or heart attack. Then they told me that I should seek psychiatrist treatment. During the Christmas break no psychiatrist was working and it was very difficult for me to cope with my panic attacks. Luckily I found this great site and I had support from my boyfriend and I survived. In January I started taking CBT and the doctor suggested me to take Cipralex. But I read all the side effects from it and I decided to try to manage by myself with no medications. So I didn't take any medication and I was doing fine.
    I am a student and in February I had exams (stressful period for me) but all went OK. Now after my exams are over I have increased anxiety again for no special reason. It is like I feel that something is not OK with me but I don't know what. Recently I read a story in newspaper about schizophrenia and I started being afraid that maybe what is happening to me now are some early signs. About all my fears so far I was talking to my boyfriend, but now it seems that he is fed up with me as I always have something to be afraid of - at the beginning I was extremely afraid from having heart attack, then from viruses, now from schizophrenia. Few days ago I told to my psychiatrist that I have problems again (although I was fine for a month) and she told me to reconsider the option of taking Cipralex. Again I read about all the side effects and I am afraid. Here is what I found http://www.helium.com/items/771330-s...rhaps-informed . The article is not written by medical doctor but again… I don’t understand how a medication that should treat anxiety can cause more anxiety or even suicidal thoughts. On the other side I read somewhere that untreated depression/anxiety can lead to schizophrenia, so maybe it is better to take medications. I am becoming more anxious – for the sounds that I hear I sometimes check whether my boyfriend hears them too. I know it sounds silly.
    I don’t know what to do. I am so afraid. Can you please give me advice?
    Thanks to all...

Re: Please give me advice

Hello girl26 to you!

Please be assured that you are not schizophrenic - if you were you wouldn't be thinking you were.

Anxiety fills our minds with all manner of fearful thoughts - but that is all they are, thoughts. Most unpleasant.

Every potential side effect of every medication has to be listed - even if the chances of it are millions to one. And some meds do indeed increase anxiety for a little while until they are absorbed properly into your system. This is because they have to 'build up' over a period of time. Some people get quite a few side effects - some people don't get any at all.

Everybody is different, and we all respond to medication differently. The thing to do is try not to 'jump the gun' and think taht it's a given that you will suffer side effects. There is just as much chance that you won't!

I experienced the feelings you're having now, and my GP put me on Citalopram. My symptoms did get worse for a short while before they got better - but get better they did. I was on meds for 6 mnths and then was able to come off.

Please try not to read too much into what you read in newspapers - trust your doctor and talk to people who have similar experiences to you.

Which is where NMP comes in! You'll get so much help and support from the members here, and there is loads of very good information and personal stories in the links on the left of this page.

You are not silly - and you are certainly not alone.

Pleased to meet you!

Hi Girl26,

A big warm welcome to you. I echo Groovygranny's post hun. xx

Mandy xx

"DILLIGAF"

Hi hun

GG has given you some great advice.

Your symptoms will probably get worse for a while when you start on meds but after a while they will get better.

I think a lot of us are guilty for "googling" symptoms on the web and looking up information but the problem there is that "anybody" can put information online and it can often mislead people.

Maybe take a look or post in the Medication section of the forum and see if you can find out more about the medication you have been recommended. Although remember that one size does not fit all and some people get on better with some meds than others.

Take care hun

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

hiya girl26 to nmp its lovely to have you here . you will get lots of support and advice from all the great members. we have a great chat room where you will be most welcome to talk to everyone about your anxiety and get some feed back. we also have a good laugh in there as well. take care hun.

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hi girl26, im glad youve found nmp! some people have found that just being able to communicate with others who experience similar has helped them a great deal. please dont feel pressured to take medication - its a psychiatrists job to give you medication, he is a medical doctor. but you could have a talking therapy from a psychiatrist or from some other suitably qualified mental health professional. also you can just get better on your own with support from here and from self-help books you can get.

if you want to try the medication that is fine - but really they are not a long-term solution really, unless you were suffering from a seriously deep depression? also i dont think that is true at all that schizophrenia is brought on by depression - i have feared it also when i was younger, and ive had a fair few bouts of depression but im not schizophrenic! - fear of mental illness is common with people with anxiety. like GG says anxiety can create all manner of nasty symptoms - your hearing things is also a common one, the adrenaline in your body is heightening your senses - everything is on edge? find out as much as you can about anxiety and you will be reassured. you can keep reassuring yourself until it starts to subside - which it always does. take care and keep in touch, emma

Hello Girl26 And Welcome..........i Wish Ya Well............linda

Welcome to NMP, you will get loads of advice and support here and make many friends along the way....Don't forget to visit the chatroom !!

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for your posts. Today after reading them I feel much much better. I don't suffer from depression but I do suffer a lot from anxiety. My anxiety creates different types of simptoms and I am continously googling for them.

Now I have decided to go in the next 2 weeks without medications. If there is no improvement then I will take.

Thanks for your support and for creating this wonderful site.

Hi Girl 26,

Welcome to the Forum.

You will get loads of support and advice here
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information