Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success story, and 'what if's'

Success story, and 'what if's'

At the moment I am trying to achieve a better life for myself, nothing great just the ability to feel 'free' and be able to go places I haven't been for a long time.
    I did a deal with a friend on Thursday night that on Friday I would go on the motorway, having agaoraphobia had made me think I didnt like motorways and couldnt drive on one for love for money.
    I used to love driving miles on the motorway, the open road, with the radio on, so as I was driving instead of tuning into my 'can't do this, what if ????'
    state of mind, I daydreamed back to the days of enjoying it.
    I drove along that strip (only did 1 junction there and back) radio blasting, and relaxed, the speed was a bit scary but got up to 60 on the way back. I didnt let the anxiety in, oh it tried the odd blip of a chest pain, but I just smiled, enjoyed the scenery and feeling part of it again.
    On my journey to where I would like to be in my life, I am having major setbacks, but it has been part of my life for so long, feeling anxious is just the habit I have adopted.
    I know I will never be that person I was before, but I have realised I can not only remember things I used to enjoy doing but the emotions I felt at that time.
    I went to Mcdonalds for breakfast after it, which is something else I used to do regularly, and had such a feeling of happiness and achievement it was well worth doing.
    The main thing I have noticed is the difference between sitting in the house, running through a situation, and imagination all the 'what if's'. I will never know if those 'what if's' would really happen if I dont get out there.
    I am going to look at 'what if' I go on the motorway and enjoy it and want to do it a lot more often cause it isn't half as scary as my mind blows it up to be sitting in my lounge lol.

Christine xx

Re: Success story, and 'what if's'

Awww, well done Christine

Kate

christine - that is brill- well done to you, and keep it up

hi. You've just given me some inspiration for this evening. I'm going out with loads of mates for the first time in ages. I too am agoraphobic and from the moment I woke up this morning ive had all the 'what if's'. Now I'm just gonna look forward to it. I'll prob read your post a few times today for a bit of confidence that intact we can all 'do it' thanks

It all about helping each other, have a great evening and enjoy every minute !!

Who inspired me was Gemmy who drove 80 miles the other night on her own and am sure won't mind me thanking her for the inspiration she gave me.

Christine xx

Ya Did A Great Job Christine.........i Have Issues W/highways Myself......but Workin On It.....your Right The What Ifs Are With You At Home Outside Highway Ect.......and None Of Those What Ifs Happen........well Done Christine...............love Linda

Hi Chris,

What a fantastic post.
    The positive vibes are great.
    Don't worry about ever being the person you were.As you continue to recover,you will find a new you, blessed with wonderful qualities as a result of the experiences you have come through.
    Keep believing in yourself.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Wow great job..it's as simple as that isn't it? Just to turn old habits into dead habits and get out there and see that there isn't anything you can't do! Great job!

Hi Chris, Keep up the great work, a little push can take you a long way! What a wonderful post .

Oh one more thing? I quote

"I know I will never be that person I was before, but I have realised I can not only remember things I used to enjoy doing but the emotions I felt at that time."

I hope this is in a positive light, meaning you will never go down the path of anxiety and panic again once you've overcome this....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information