Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: now given me ranitidine

has anyone had ranitidine

After a trip to the A&E dept AGAIN, the doctor thinks I may have gall stones and has prescribed me 300mg ranitidine.

Now sillly me, has gone and read the leaflet (which I know I should never do but I ALWAYS do-a nurse said to me a few weeks ago "if you read the side effects you can guarantee you will get them") and have now given myself a complete phobia about getting the side effects. I'm the same with any new meds they give me but how am I supposed to get better if I'm not willing to take the medications they give me? I know they know what they're talking about but I still cant seem to believe that they KNOW that they are prescribing me the correct tablets for the symptoms i'm telling them-so then i start thinking "well if they have diagnosed me incorrectly, why should i take the tablets they told me to take and risk getting the side effects or having a bad readtion to them when I dont even need them because they've got the diagnosis wrong"

I'm in such a vicious circle at the minute and dont know what to do-do I take the new meds for the gall stones (if this is what it is which personally i dont think it is) and risk the side effects or not take them and carry on suffering?

Has anyone else taken this med and had either a good reaction or a bad one?

please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by louwilliams; 19-03-08 at 09:07.

Re: now given me ranitidine

Hi Lou,
    I've been on 300mg Ranitide every morning for years now for reflux.
    I didn't even know they had side effects.I certainly have had no trouble.
    Phill
    Last edited by Phill2; 19-03-08 at 00:47. Reason: cause

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Cheers for the reply Phil

the thing is, I dont suffer from reflux or heartburn really so I dont know why they think its gall stones he did examine my stomach area and it was tender just between under my boobs and just above my belly button? plus I get chet pains and he sais the "knot" is a symptom?

thanks for lettting me know about the lack of side effects though

lou xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No worries Lou
    I didn't know it was used for Gallstones so we've both learnt something.
    Phill

hiya Lou ....my sister..brother-in-law take ranitidine b.i.l for years no problems ..Ive been on tagamet for 10 years without any problems ..once you start taking them youll notice a big difference .

sally.....

I have ranitidine too, I can take 2 a day and I haven't read the leaflet but whenever I do on anything else I do always have the side effects, so have stopped reading them, I know it is all in my head though but it doesn't make it any better at the time, I even stopped taking antids because I had every side effect going after reading the leaflet, since then I have not read a single leaflet from anything and won't do again.

They prescribe this to babies so its safe I am sure.

I was prescribed it last year for excessive wind, my GP told me side effects are 1 in a million so not to worry.

I to read the leaflet and s**t myself but I took them and I was fine.

thanksfor your replies guys,

I have read that the side effects are quite rare with these but i'm also on 2mg diazepam at the moment and I'm worried about it interacting with this. I did tell the doctor about being on them-in fact he sugessted I up them to take 3 x 2mg a day for a week and see how I get on so I suppose I just answered me own question lol

gonna cut it in half and take one just before I drop off and see how I go

lou xxxxxxxxx

Hi Lou,
    I take 10mg diazepam/day with em amd have no probs.
    Phill

Cheers guys,

I took 1/4 (75mg) before I went to bed and survived so i'm gonna take another 1/4 now and then before I go to bed and see how I get on.

Thanks again

lou xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information