Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Venlafaxine

Venlafaxine

I have been taking Venlafaxine anti-depressant now for 6 weeks as I felt I needed something to help calm me down after loosing my job after been bullied at work by my boss. Has anyone taken this drug and do they feel it works? I feel slightly calmer but I dont know whether that is because I have found a new job which is great. I still get the panic symptoms though so does this mean they are not working for me?

Please advise.

sadie

hi sadie,

goodness,there are soo many drugs out there,i often wonder how a doctor decides to prescribe this one,as against any other .

venlafaxine is a good ante-depressant...a mood changing drug...it should take about four weeks to kick in,its taken basically to cheer you up a bit.

its also a drug that you need to take as prescribed,and to be taken until told to stop by your doctor...dont suddenly stop taking it,as it can have adverse affects.

if you find it not helping you,go back to your gp,and he/she will prescribe something else.

as for panic...start by reading everything on the home page...then read every single post under <panic> on this forum...loads of great advice,you wont find elsewhere.

best wishes...bryan.

Hi Bryan,

Dont worry I'm not stalking you but you give good advice. I do feel that I am less stressed on these tablets but I still do get symptoms of panic. I have never taken tablets over the last 3 years up until 6 weeks ago because I always wanted to deal with the problems myself but it got to a point when other things were happening in my life (loosing my job) that i really needed to. Anyway, I am going to the doctor tommorrow as I need more pils but I want to stop them and cope with this myself. I feel after reading all the information on this site that it can be done and that there is a lot of support here to help along the way. Do you think I will suffer a huge setback if I come off them?

sadie

Hi Sadie

I know that they recommend at least 6 months on anti-depressants, often more. If they are helping you I'd suggest getting a referral to a therapist and taking them in the meantime - they can give you a break and allow you to make positive changes so that when you come off them things are different.

hi sadie,

if your going back to your doctor 2morrow(monday),i would suggest sitting down beforehand for ten minutes,and write down all the questions you need the doctor to answer...(once in the surgery,we sometimes clam up,and come out confused).

its good you now have a new job,that you enjoy,ime sure this will help you.

just a thought,have you tried..the bach rescue remedy..its well documented on this site..you put a few drops in mineral water,and freely sip all day.

its available at supadrug,and most health food stores,and from wot ive read,it takes the edge off,anxiety,and panic.

dont ever be afraid to post on here,its a little haven to come to when you need assurance from people that care..best wishes..bryan.

Hi all,

Went to the doctors yesterday and decided to not take anymore Venlafaxine and to try with the help from everyone on this site and all the good advice to cope drug free. I am a bit worried the symptoms may come back with a vegenance to start with and make me scared but I guess I can only try.

sadie

Sadie,
    Please taper them off and don't stop all of a sudden if you've been on them a few weeks already. There can be some nasty rebound sideffects with venaflaxine as with all antidepresants.

Good for you for taking that decision. What did doc have to say about your choice?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi Radar,

Doctor advised me to take the remaining pills (4) every second day and everything should be ok. He said as I was given the Venlafaxine for anxiety and not depression he thinks that I am making a very positive choice as I would still have to learn to deal with panic and anxiety after stopping the tablets whenever that may be. Do you think thats ok for me to take the remaining tablets every 2nd day?

sadie

hya sadie,

as i said on a previous post...you cant just stop taking these drugs,but if your dr says one every two days,then thats the way to go.

from what youve said previously,i would suggest you concentrate on correct breathing techniques,relaxation tapes,and above all keeping your mind busy with hobbies...also theres some good herbal products available,which arent addictive.

comind off a/d in eight days may be tough,dont be afraid to go back to the doctor,and ask for a lower dose,for another week or so..best wishes..bryan.

hi Bryan

Do you recommend any particualr relaxation tapes as I have never bought one? I think you are right I may be best to take a smaller dose for a week or so. I think I will phone him tommorrow and suggest that.

Thanks for the advice

sadie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information