Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cipramil causing insomnia/anxiety

Hi Chris

I was on 10mg of citalopram for 2 weeks (see thread topic for how they made me feel, initially)! By about day 10, I started to feel a bit better in myself and I was sleeping on and off (sometimes for 8 hours, which is excellent for me)! OK, I'm on Zopiclone to help me sleep, but I can be awake all night on that!

Day 14, the doctor decided it was time I was on the lowest therapeutic dose of 20mg. I was terrified as it made me feel awful the first time I took 20mg. I've been on 20mg for 4 days now and it hasn't been as bad as I expected, although I'm not getting much sleep, which is irritating me. I'm hoping that will settle after a while, as it did on the 10mg.

I would go and speak to your doctor re: propananol and citaprolam. Explain how you felt on the combination and see if he/she thinks it could be some sort of reaction. You should perhaps tell the doctor you have dropped to 10mg (think I've read on another thread that you did it by yourself)? There could be a drug that works better for you. I've heard that it can take months to kick in with some people, but I think you have to decide how long you are prepared to put up with side effects etc. before you give up on it. Perhaps have a chat with the doctor about it.

I'm hoping things settle for you.

Love and hugs

Caz xx

As I think back, when I took cipramil for the first time (for severe depression), I'd been switched between so many different drugs prior to them and felt so ill, I didn't give 2 hoots how these made me feel (was clutching at straws). I remember just feeling tired, having no sleep pattern and sitting awake all night on my own feeling like I should have been in a padded cell. After about 6 weeks, I remember waking up one morning after a full nights sleep and felt as if someone had removed all the pain and felt better than I could have ever imagined. Within 2 more weeks I returned back to work after a year out! I can confidently say that cipramil changed my life back then (sounds very cheesy I know) and I haven't suffered with depression since. As I mentioned earlier in this thread though, I've tried them for this current bout of hellish anxiety and was given them to take with propranolol, the 2 combined made me feel worse than I could have ever imagined. I have been clear of all drugs for nearly 3 weeks now and after seeing my GP today, am about to start Cipralex on a low dose (5mg) with 2mg of valium, 3 times a day and see how I go.

Regards,

Mark

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I remember just feeling tired, having no sleep pattern and sitting awake all night on my own feeling like I should have been in a padded cell. After about 6 weeks, I remember waking up one morning after a full nights sleep and felt as if someone had removed all the pain and felt better than I could have ever imagined. Within 2 more weeks I returned back to work after a year out! I can confidently say that cipramil changed my life back then (sounds very cheesy I know) and I haven't suffered with depression since. <div align="right">Originally posted by mjh74 - 04 April 2005 : 18:48:04</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    I know how you feel re: the sleeping! I try to tell myself not to worry. I try to get up and do something to distract myself, but I'm just too tired to move! It does make you feel like you are losing it!

Glad the Cipramil worked for you and hoping that the Cipralex will do this time.

I got 8 hours sleep the night before last (absolutely wonderful!) but only 2 hours last night. Sat bolt upright at 4.30am. Hoping this is down to the recent increase in dosage from 10mg to 20mg, as people on here have suggested. It's a bizarre feeling. Feels different from my usual sleeping anxiety. Not panicking, just cannot sleep! [|)]

Love and hugs

Caz xx

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">from Blossom I have been on cipramil for 5 months, and would say the first two weeks made me more agitated and panicy, I could not eat either, but after they changed them to the newer version of the drug called Cipralex, am told by my GP it is a cleaner verson of Ciprimil, and one only has to take 10mgs in the morning after food I take it, I too suffer from Agoraphobia, anxiety and depression,
    If you can get over the first 2-3 weeks, you should find it settles down, and I do sleep. It apppears they took an isomer out of the Ciprmil, which was not needed. Called it CIPRALEX, ( Escitolopram.
    I wish you luck, from Blossom

<div align="right">Originally posted by blossom - 21 March 2005 : 21:22:55</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Hey there

I also have been on clitramopram I was on it for 4 years and eventually was up to a dosage of 40mg's, which was awful far to much for me and my age.

This was through fault of my doctor who basically paid no attention to the information I was trying to give him and he just kept advising me to take another 10mg.

So I put my foot down and went to another doc in the practice and said I want off of these,now being up at that dosage and coming down off them was like a detox, horrible,but it worked and now im off them,thank goodness.

At first when I started them I personally didnt have any side affects,although im an emetophobe so I will do everything in my power not to actually be ill!

I will say though when I was on the 10mg and 20mg I found that they helped my insomnia and my anxiety also my ocd something that I hadnt had in a while but since they had basically put me on to much I wanted off of them.

I really do hope that these help your insomnia as I know now that again I suffer from it unfortunetly...

Sorry this is so long

Take Care

Neon x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information