Thread: How's life after coming off citalopram?????

How's life after coming off citalopram?????

I've been doing really well since taking this med,my anxiety is 90% gone and I have been handling everything life throws at me without becoming depressed about it.I've been on it for 6 months and would happily take it forever if it meant staying the way I am now.
    Don't know if to risk starting to reduce with a view to stopping,cos I've read that some people relapse and have to start all over again.Would love to hear from anyone who has stopped and continued to feel good.Please.
    julie x

Re: How's life after coming off citalopram?????

hiya Julie hun,

take your time about reducing citalopram.You are doing so great its wonderful.6 months is not a long time to be on it.

bet xxx

Hi - I was on the tablets for about 8-9 months. It took me 2 attempts cos the first time I thought I'd come off them on my own....

Errr bad move. So went back on at 10mg and then with the Dr's help and support I began to come off them.

My therapist says they reckon it takes 2 yrs for the tablets to work and have done their job in repairing the mind ( then they will maintain you) so 6 months isn't long. I was allowed off the tablets earlish cos' I had really worked hard at developing coping strategies so the Dr let me have a bash at coming off them. And I promised to work with my therapist and Dr once off the tablets and be very honest in case I needed them.

My Dr says Spring is a good time to come off them as the nights are less dark and grim and all that sort of thing. But it does have to be really gradual... I think I was doing 1 tablet every other day, then one every 3 days etc....

I have been off them for over a year now and overall been fine. Though if I was to be in the pickle I was the other year I'd have the tablets back.

Thanks Bet and Samc for the replies.

I think I'll stay on them for 2 years then, cos I'd hate to go back to how I was.I suppose I just started feeling that I'd like to feel like this without the meds,but really its the meds that help me to feel this way.I dont have any proffessional help but I do practice relaxation,read self help books,positive thinking,and try to see the good in people and situations.I shouldnt complain cos I havent felt this good for years.

Thanks again
    julie x

Hi Julie
    I agree with bet and sam that you shouldn't rush to come off the tablets. Take your time and dont set yourself time limits. See how you feel and when the time comes start a very slow reduction. After all if your feeling well whats the hurry?

Best regards

Andy

Can't really give advice on what it's like after you've come off them, but im off them now (have been reducing for the past two weeks or so and now ive completly stopped) all i can say is do it slowly! and if you feel you're going to relapse go to see your gp and see if he/she can advise you on how to stop it it happening

x

i had another breakdown after coming off and went back on after 3 months

Thread Information