Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mid life crisis and PD

mid life crisis and PD

Just found this site and wanted to introduce myself. I've suffered from anziety and panic disorders for most of my life to varying degrees, but what I'm going through at the moment is the most difficult. I had a breakdown centered on my fear of death and aging and was in hospital for a month at the end of last year as they tried different anti-depressant medications. (I'm currently on 125mg clomipramine which gives me tremors amongst other side effects)

I have developed agorophobia and a terrible fear of being alone. I have had several spontaneous attcks in the past few weeks, the first one when when my partner had to go on a business trip and I was alone in the house in the middle of the night. I thought I was going to die and called a friend who lives nearby. She stayed the night and most of the day after.

The second was when I went out alone. I ended up sobbing, hysterical and shaking in a book shop. Called my partner who called his (now retired) parents, one of whom came round to pick me up in the car. I ended up at the emergency section of the psychiatric hospital.

I know that on both ocassions I had some kind of back up and that eventually I will have to face this alone to overcome it, but I'm terrified. All my thoughts are obsessive ones about my fear of death and how time seems to be racing by. My perception of the passage of time changed with my breakdown. A week seems to pass in just one or two days and I feel like I'm hurtling towards oblivion with little point to anything.

I know I'm very lucky to have the friends and family I have and that in many ways my situation could be much worse, but I'm going through a crisis and can't see light at the end of the tunnel, only the idea that this can only get worse.

Everyone seems so supportive here. I'd love to hear from any of you.

hi welcome to the forum sorry to hear you been feeling so bad, im sure being here will really help as you will see your not alone with this and we are a very friendly bunch, its good that you have some good family support and in time im sure you will get to the stage that you can and will be able to cope with this on your own

fan x

"dont wait for the light at the end of the tunnel..........stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!

hi, you are having a ruff time sorry, you will get a lot out of this site there's always someone around to listen, and as you will see we are all in the same boat one way or another, pop into the chat room on an evening its good to get to
    know every one good luck chin up x

kairen x

Hello and welcome!!

Everyone here is very friendly and understanding so I'm sure you will receive loads of support. I hope we can help you!!

Sarah

hi there,
    i'm sorry you've been having such a rough time of it recently.
    i'm very scared of death too, and even more of that thing you said about time going by so quickly and i can't do anything to stop it etc.
    i don't know what the answers are. it sounds like a cliche but i really think that things can only get better when you sort of reach a stage that feels like rock bottom.
    anyway, take care and let us know how you get on,
    henri x

Welcome to the forum.

You are not alone with this, lots of helpful people here who understand how you feel & will give you support.

It's good that you have a supportive family. You can get better, just takes time & determination.

Linda. x

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You are not alone in how you feel and many on here have been where you have. You will gain a lot of support on here and i hope it helps you see that there is light at the end of the tunnel however long it may feel.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

hi monster

welcome to the site...i used to be in the same position as you, afraid to be alone afraid to think, and afraid of death, HOWEVER i have now recovered after 12 yrs take time to slow down, and if it helps you make a note of the day each day...take time to look at something evenif it is just out of the window at a nice flower or a bird...what i am saying is be good to yourself and dont kick yourself....try to write out what your fears are, as seeing them in black and white may put them into perspective.

take care

della[8D]

Hi there

Welcome to the forum. You'll find you are not alone in this and I hope we can help and support you.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Just wanted to thank everyone who replied to my post. My partner and I are trying some small exposure experiments, ie. My being in the flat alone for 15-20 minutes, then making it longer and longer periods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information