Thread: Holiday Panic

Holiday Panic

Hi Guys,

Was rather hoping to be posting this in the success stories but unfortunately not.

I have been doing great for months now. Came off the meds and everything. Felt the urge to finally book a hol abroad. Flew out last Saturday, felt little anxious but had diazepam on the plane and felt ok. Was chilled the whole week. Didn't feel at all panicky, that is until yesterday when we were due to fly back. I felt terrible!!!! I was sick, had the runs, trembling legs, racing mind. Had two diazepams which didn't seem to help. Was the longest wait till the coach came in the afternoon. Was petrified to get on the plane but knew I had to do it to get home. Felt terrible!! Longest 4 hours on a plane ever!!

Thought I would be ok once I got home, but no. Today I feel really panicky and anxious. So scared of going back to square one. I keep telling myself it's because of yesterday and that I need to rest and calm myself down but it's not working.

Has anybody else felt like this after coming bacl from abroad? Please tell me it's a minor blip and I am just tired.

Sorry to go on but I am scared of heading down that route again.

Emma xx

hi Emma,

I have had the same thing happen to me quite a few times after coming back from a holiday. I always feel bad towards the end of the holiday and I think it's because my mind has tried so hard during the holiday not to panic that it eventually gets tired. I'm sure that you will feel a lot better in a couple of days once you have settled down at home again. Well done for going on holiday though and remaining panic-free for most of the time!!

Sarah

Thanks Sarah, just wanted my mind putting at rest because I was so proud of myself for going, and really pleased to get a good sun tan too, he he!! Just don't want it all to be ruined now that I am back as it was supposed to be a relaxing break. Think I am just tired from it all. Will try to chill today and tomorrow before going back to work.

Emma xx

Lucky you with a nice sun tan!!

Ems

I know you dont feel so great today but I think you did brilliant while on holiday I was dead impressed !

Dont be too hard on yourself because you did very well while you were there.
    You know where I am if you need me

hi emma. glad to hear u been doing so well. It was a big thing going abroud u shoild be proud of that. The anxiety and panic returning I do understand, I have felt great for weeks then bang its all came back and seems like u r as bad as when u started. I also find when i get like that nothing seems to calm us down even valium seems to have no effect. hope u feel better soon. Vernon

Emma

Firstly a big well done on even going in the first place!!! That was a big achievement. I am glad you enjoyed it except the horrid journey back.

The last time I went on holiday aboard I was the same and I haven't been since - that was over 9 years ago now I think.

I have been on a plane 3 times since but only a "Flying with confidence" trip so we didn't go very far - Scotland and back.

I have other issues with going abroard so I have not tried it again yet.

It may have just been an off day you were having and it happened to coincide with the day you were coming home.

I always feel terrible the day after panic etc so just try to be kind to yourself and relax and chill-out today.

It is not a set-back it is just a "bad day" and we all get them so well done on the holiday and try to remember how much fun it was and how well you coped.

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

Have to admit I really enjoyed the holiday. Been going abroad for years until the panic set in so was so proud of myself to eventually go again.

Not gonna say never again but right now I don't want to go abroad for a while.

Have no fear of flying, actually enjoy it but when I'm in a panic state I just can't wait to get it over with. The shaking legs and fear of cracking up are so intense.

I do feel a lot better this afternoon. Was mega panicky this morning. Hopefully a blip.

Like you say, just have to remember that I managed to go in the first place and even stay a whole week.

Emma xx

Emma

Step back from how you have felt the last few days and remember what a great holiday you had and how you felt okay. We all have bad days and you have had some. You have got of your meds and sorted yourself to do things that some only can dream off. You have done great and how you feel i would guess if probably due to how well you have done and coped then it has hit you. You will get through this and remember how much off a good time you had.

You have done so well and you need to remember that.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Thread Information