Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: St John's Wort.

Re: St John's Wort.

a good site for st john's wort info is

http://www.sjwinfo.org/

x

I took it for about a year. i don't think it did anything really. I did however get sensitive to sunlight.

I would be very wary about taking this unless you have seen your GP first. It would be no good for major depression and should only be used for mild to moderate depression. I'm very sceptical although a believer in other complementary medicines and practices some of St Johns Wort effects could well be placebo.

SJW has been proven to help in quite a few studies.

I have taken it, and it has helped me, and I am a sceptic.

Just dont take it at the same time as certain other medications. e.g Citalopram for one.

Check the leaflet on any medication you to take.

I made the mistake of taking Citalopram, and SJW at the same time, and when I read that you shouldnt, it triggered the biggest Panic Attack of my life. (Still not able to see the funny side yet. )

There is no huge consequence if you do it once, but prolonged taking of the pills together isnt advised.

I did read somewhere that it is not a good idea to take St.John's Wort while you are taking anti-depressants. Apparently they don't mix well together.

Best to ask your GP.

The opinions stated above are the personal opinions of the writer, and not intended to offend or denigrate any opinions held by anyone else.

I think it's kinda funny, I think it's kinda sad,
    The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had.

I've tried 3 different brands, my doc prescribed it (can't remember the brand) for me but it gave me stomach upset and I felt sedated so I couldn't do anything, I gave up after 10 days as I couldn't eat. I tried Holland and Barrett ones too but they had no effect, good or bad, after 2 months, and 3rd ones I tried were Kira which upset my tum so I gave up.
    I was amazed to have side effects from it, I spoke to a pharmacist and asked if it does cause stomach upset and he said it can, but it is a potent herb and if it's capable of helping depression it can have side effects too, most people don't though.
    It does make a difference which brand it is as some are more potent than others.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information