Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dont Laugh - Hairdresser phobia!!

Dont Laugh - Hairdresser phobia!!

Please dont laugh.

If I could only practise what I preach. I know all the stuff having been on and off propranalol for 12 years. I can deal with my anxiety and have learnt to calm myself in panic the only thing that I have a major major problem with and always have had is going to the hairdressers! I make myself go every six weeks because I know if I cancel that appointment I will never go back and then it will have beaten me.

My hairdresser is very good and to a certain extent I think knows my problem as I go all red and blotchy. I am usually sat in the chair for an hour and a half (you know us girls, colour,cut,blow dry). I know some of you will think vanity but it is not really the hairdresser thing it is just if I let that beat me then other demons will rear their heads and I do not want that to happen.

I know it is the fear that once I am sat in that chair with colour on my head I cannot leave without creating a scene. My next appointment is next Thursday and already it is making me anxious.

Hayley

Re: Dont Laugh - Hairdresser phobia!!

Hi Hayley,
    I have written posts on here for exactly the same thing and i was amazed at the amount of replies i had, it would seem there are alot of us with the same fear, like you most of us appear to worry about not being able to leave if we need to.
    You are doing the right thing by keep going and not giving into it.
    I am due to go again soon and am already worrying about it.
    You are doing really well by going and although you feel uncomfortable you know you can do it.
    All the best
    Helen

hayley I know exactly what you are talking about and well done you for going so regularly,. I'm going the afternoon and am already wishing I wasn't. I always feel good atferwards but hate the feeling of being trapped. The way I have to deal with it is that I go to a hairdresser that works on her own so she only has two clients or so in at once. This makes it easier coz if I do bolt for the door there's not loads of people in there staring at me. But I haven't done it yet and let's face it half the stuff we worry about where it concerns what others think never even happens. How many times have we all worried about getting so anxoius that we might scream out loud and run around like a mad thing.....for me it's hundreds but I've never done it. I too go blotchy and red when I'm stressed. This happens at work too but it's amazing when you get talking to people how many people experience this who don't even appear to have panic attacks. Don't be afraid to voice how you're feeling, I bet you're surprised at the reaction. I did this yesterday while having a bad panic at work and everyone was really supportive. Just talking about it instead of trying to hide it and worry what people were thinking really helped to calm me down. It's amazing how many people told me they get the same when they feel uncomfortable, people just have different triggers.
    Hope this helped, Hayley

thanks for all your replies so quickly I'll let you know how I get on. Ive a week to go.

Andie are you going this aft? Let me know how u get on.

Hi Hayley. I feel exactly the same. I haven't had my hair cut in ages and it could really do with a trim at least. I stopped getting a colour put in because the last experience was so distressing so seriously well done for going

Hi, I too feel the same way. Its a lose of control of the situation thing and you can't escape half way through as you would not only feel stupid but might look it too with a half haircut.. My hairdresser comes to the house to do my hair. It hasn't been coloured for a couple of years cause I am scared that I will have an allergy!!! Only dyed my hair for 15 years before this worry started!!! Argh annoying panic things. Grey is really starting to be prominent and its quite depressing that I am stopping myself from colouring it.
    Hazel xox

Hi, I have really struggled with this issue too, its not the hairdresser, its the situation, having to sit in the chair, either waiting, or having your shampoo, and cut and them omg having it dried, all the time your tapping your toes together chanting in your head "theres no place like home, theres no place like home" with the hopes that you will do a Dorothy and be back home in a flash.

I cut my own hair for a good couple of years, and then did pluck up the courage to go to hair dressers for ( shame on me) a dry cut, so I could have it done as quick as poss. Well I felt like I was being a cheapskate and quit going again. Around Sept last year I found a hairdresser right round the corner from where I lived, I rang up and asked if there was a time when it is very quiet in the salon as I have a phobia. She was brill and I go on a morning when there is only that one stylist working, so only one client (me). I gradually built up from having dry cuts to cut and blow, and even had highlights once so far. I still feel an overwhelming desire to run out of the shop when I get my gown on, and I have been very close to saying stop cutting now, half way through the cut so I can leave, and have even thought about leaving with wet hair. The anxiety is still there and some of my panic symptoms are there, it doesnt really get any easier, but I guess that I am doing ok. I just feel trapped by the situation, not actually afraid of the hairdresser or what she might do.

sorry, I did waffle on then didnt I

Take care,
    Freaky

We're not laughing, it's not funny is it?

I'm the same, it's not a fear of the hairdresser but being stuck in the chair. I haven't had a hair cur for 2and a half years now. I can't even bring myself to ring up a home hairdresser cause I know that I'll be the same. I have cut about 8 inches off my hair, if not it would be down past me bum!

Wll done for carrying on going, you're right about cancelling once then never going again, so keep at it, you've done very well.

Dear God the things we have to go through! And all for what??!!

Elspeth

Thanks for all your replies.

It helps greatly that everyone understands, it even goes as far as I wonder if there is anybody else in the hairdressers going through what I am going through. I'll make a point of looking around rather than just staring in the mirror chanting my times tables under my breath!!

I am going to go in with a positive attitude next Thursday and I will get through it in a positive way.

Speak to you all soon

Hayley

Hi

Just wanted to say, im so glad i found this thread on here! I have had the same exact worrys for a couple of years now and its great to know im not alone, my friends never understand coz they think im scared about the haircut going wrong or not being how i wanted it, but its not about that for me, its like a lot of people on here have said, its the not being able to leave and feeling trapped once uv got the wet hair or are sitting with the dye on...

i was scared for soo long but eventually i just wanted my hair done so much that i did dare go for it last month, it turned out to be a million times better than i had expected, the salon staff were lovely and i felt great afterwards!

I wanted to wish you good luck for thursday and if you do experience any anxiety just try to think how brave you are for actually being there, how much your achieving and how good you will feel afterwards

Good luck

Suzi xx
    You will be all right
    Cause there's no one like you
    In the universe

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information