Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dont Laugh - Hairdresser phobia!!

Re: Dont Laugh - Hairdresser phobia!!

Just to let you all know

I WENT TO THE HAIRDRESSERS!!!!

AND

I FELT GOOD ABOUT IT!!!!

Sorry to brag but I went to the hairdressers had not panic and no anxiety. I think because I wanted my hair so desperately to be a different colour because I hated it I knew I had to go through with it. The surprising feeling is I got not anxiety and I had to wait as well - I was there for two hours!!!!

I am going through the new vitamins and iron and diet change so maybe it is working. I wanted to fly when I came out I was so happy.

Thanks for all your advise and support

Hayley

BIG HUGS!!

WELL DONE!!

I too had the same fear. I cut my own hair for the past 5 years (made a pretty good job of it i have to say).
    Anyway I plucked up the courage to have a decent cut & the hairdresser comes to my house...where i feel safe AND my hair is fantastic! I know it doesn't necessarily solve the problem, but its a way round it.

Can't remember the last time I went to an hairdresser. All I do is get the Remington out and go at it like sheep shearer . Mind you, when I've done it looks like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards .

I have this one too....I used not to be so bad, but lately (over the past year) it has got to be such a problem that I just avoid it. I have had only two haircuts in the last year and they have both been an ordeal! My hair is longer than it's ever been. I just hate that trapped feeling, I feel tense just thinking about it. I'm thinking of trying to find a mobile hairdresser but like Elspeth, I'm not sure I'm up to that either.

hi hayley,

i kno what u mean about the haidressers, i cant stand the feeling of being trapped and having to stay in a certain place for a set amount of time. It should be easier for me as my hairdresser comes to the house but it still makes me really anx!!

Me too, I cut my own hair now. I go to see a lady that sorts out my very sore feet but her premises is at the back of a hair dressers. The smell triggers off nerves and I feel like I really need to run out of the door; if only my feet didn't hurt so much!!
    It's the blow drying that brought on my phobia- I have naturally curly hair and hairdressers just can't cope with it! Their looks of horror at my expanding locks as they blow dry away is one that really sticks in my mind. My husband persuaded me to have my hair cut by his hairdresser once but not to blow dry it or anything afterwards. He had his hair done after my appointment so I sat in the hellish place with dripping wet hair and all the customers staring at me- only made the phobia worse.

Warbler

Smile Re: Dont Laugh - Hairdresser phobia!!

I remember having the exact same problems at the hairdressers about 7 years ago. Looking back it was a stressful time in my life anyway and I remember one occasion that i had a panic attack and my face flushed bright red, much to the concern of the hairdresser! I remember feeling incredibly self conscious and distressed and from then on i always felt anxiety. For me it was a lot to do with being sat in front of a mirror and I didnt like my appearance very much. I still get a little anxious at the hairdressers but more often than not it is an enjoyable experience. I look at it more of a treat and that it is deserved, and not a place to feel bad things about yourself more the opposite.

It helps if you stick to one salon you like i found, then you get to know the staff they get to know you a little and can be a sociable experience. Obviously there are good and bad hairdressers but none should make you feel bad about yourself, they are there to make you feel better so that you come back again and again!

Wow - I'm happy I've found other people with the same problem. I thought I was a freak! I've actually never told anyone else about this. A big man in his mid 30's with a phobia of going to the hairdresser

I have had anxiety issues in the past but these are generally under control nowadays but the hairdresser issue is a constant problem for me. I have tried multiple things to overcome it.. working out at the gym beforehand so I feel relaxed, taking a sedative pill from the doctor, pretending to read a newspaper when sat in the chair (which I usually end up fanning myself with as I am on the point of panic).. you name it I've given it a go!

Bizarre thing is, as I'm a bloke I go to the barbers (if I manage to get in there!) and the bloke is very nice and doesn't suspect anything, and the whole thing only takes about 10 or 15 minutes but by the time I'm out I am exhusted from what I've put myself through mentally. Its crazy really.

Can we get everyone together and open a freaky hairdressers where we can all go and not have to worry what other people think - it would be great!

Thanks for the posts everyone, it made me feel good reading them

Hi Hayley

We're not laughing at all. This is so common as the others have said. Any situation where one is "trapped" will make you feel awful. The fear of a panic attack whilst the stylist is cutting your hair is very scary indeed.

I have to say Hayley that you should give yourself one huge pat on the back because you say you have other treatments not only a cut. I don't think you realise how amazing this is for someone who suffers anxiety.

The last time I went to the hairdressers (about three years ago) - I insisted on a dry cut (and this was a very well known high street well known hairdresser - world wide - need I say more begins with a T & has a G lol) - the stylist cut it dry no problem. Still it was very hard for me even with my daughter with me.

I have a home hairdresser who is brilliant. A lot of anxiety sufferers use home stylists now. Why put yourself through hell if you don't have to.

One thing I have to mention before I go - sitting having hair washed at those awful basins!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only that but today the hairdressers insist on this amaaaazing washing hair technique with massage and this and that and it only adds to the anxiety! Of course all that washing and massaging scalp is to justify the mega prices they charge today lol.

Hayley you're doing fine believe me and you certainly wouldn't be having highlights and stuff if you couldn't handle it. Tip: Best thing to do if you know your stylist well is to tell them of your problem. You will be surprised how acceptable they are to it and understanding as well.

I have this phobia too and it's awful. I also thought I was the only one to feel like this.

I am agoraphobic and the last time I went to the hairdressers (8 years ago) was pure hell for me. My husband came with me and drove the car as near to the door as possible, we also went at a quiet time. I went for a dry cut to save time. I didn't have to wait long but I was horrified that I was taken to a seat right next to the window!! I felt terrible, exposed, terrified and horrified and to top it all of the hairdresser didn't cut my hair like I wanted (think that was my fault for not explaining what I really wanted).
    I don't get my hair cut for over 2 years until my husband got his cousin to come to the house. At first I wasn't comfortable with this, but I am now fine and I actually like her coming as she is a really nice person as well as a great hairdresser. She has a cuppa and a chat, it is now just like a friend visiting.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information