Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dont Laugh - Hairdresser phobia!!

Re: Dont Laugh - Hairdresser phobia!!

Hi hayley, i can relate to what you've said. I find it difficult , and feel trapped with an anxious self staring back via the mirror. Thankfully my vanity outweighs my anxiety on this, so i make myself go.
    Well done for pushing yourself.
    Much love, Jay Xx

Oh My god I thought I was the only one with this Stupid Phobia!!! Every one I know laughs at me about it. I only wish i knew where it came from, I just woke up one day and that was it no more hair dressers for me!!

I try so hard to go every 6 months!! I know thats a long time but i feel like i am going to have a panic attack and pass out before i even walk through the door!!

My sister is the only one who believes me and comes with me every time no matter if she is busy, she will re schedule and help me!! I am 24 and a grown woman, i look so silly having to have some one litterally hold my hand walking in the door!!

Sorry about my mini rant, just so glad there are other people out there!!

Hi
    I now go to the hairdressers on one of the quieter weekdays and usually when they have a late opening night. I feel more relaxed in the evenings.
    I read magazines and try and distract myself as much as is possible to take my mind off the anxiety. I make sure I have taken my citalopram too.
    As I am going through a bad time at the moment with agoraphobia, I get my partner to wait outside in his car along the road, so that way I can just leave if I want to.
    I have often thought about getting a hairdresser to visit me at home but I feel that is giving in to my anxiety but thats just me.
    I trained as a hairdresser too years ago!!!

I'm just the same and in the past 30yrs or so I've only been to a salon a couple of time. Ironically when I was a teenager I did train as a hairdresser and it never occurred to me when I was doing hairdressing that anyone could be anxious about having their hair done

I envy people who can just go to any salon they want and sit there for hours being pampered, although I don't envy them the prices they pay for all that! I've always had someone come to my home and cut and highlight my hair. My roots I do myself, but purely because it saves money and I know I can do it just as well myself

I do think it's a very common problem for anyone with anxiety and I'd be the same if I went for a manicure, pedicure, massage etc. Fact is I would just love to have a massage as they say it really helps to relax you, but I'm sure I'd panic and jump off the table

im also scared of going to the hairdresser but because i have a tremor / twitch and its something im scared of other people noticing. anything that involves me having to keep my head still is a nightmare, so now my hair is quite long and i havnt been to the optician for a few years either.

being able to go and spend a few hours in a hairdressers for a proper re-style and colour is my goal. I cant wait for the day when i will be able to do it.

I can completely understand where your coming from, I for the last few years have had a hairdresser coming to my home that was fine but she had to stop for a while so i left my hair a few months then decided to book an appt at a hairdressers i was so so anxious about going there. Unfortunately for me it went totally wrong as just before going in the hairdresser i parked my car in a car park and hit a wall which resulted in my car door totally scratched and dented I couldnt believe my eyes...I walked into this hairdressers and burst out crying it was horrendous, they were all so nice but im not going there ever again it totally put me off.. thankgod my own hairdresser is working again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmirock View Post
    Has anyone with this fear considered cutting their own hair? A friend of mine with no background in hairdressing does his and another friends hair from time to time, and not just to shave it all off
    I would if I could. Mines thick & curly though, so a challenge for even the professional! I always used to go in with it wet, have it trimmed, then go home with it wet. And dry it myself. I hate going to the hairdressers. All the having to chat to them, & the time it takes is crazy. Not to mention feeling trapped in those chairs, with someone else in control. I have it highlighted now so i'm lucky if I'm in & out within 2 hours. I have put it off so long, my roots are a couple of inches long! So I booked in for next friday, the day the kids go back. But I'm certainly not looking forward to it!

I went to the hairdressers last week for the 1st time in about 5 years (I used to shave my own hair, Nothing to do with a fear of going though, Just a shaved style I wanted which I found pointless paying a hairdresser to do lol).

Anyway, I was having a huge panic attack thinking about arghhhh I cant leave when I want once Im in the chair. Really worked myself up.

After waiting in the seating area for about 10 minutes, Completely forgot about the panic.

I know its worse for girls, With it taking longer but Im sure you'll be fine. My hairdresser is usually quite talkative which is nice as it distracts me.

I have never had this fear before...But seriously it's real to you and lots of other people, so no-body will be laughing. I think everyone on NMP has at least one thing that they are affraid of but they find stupid. For instance i am petrified of car Wash's, i just simply can't go in one. If that thing went wrong i would be trapped in there and possibly be injured or worse. This i find ridiculous and my friends find it so funny when i have to get out of the car and have to get back in again afterwards...me though hate it and dont find it funny at all.

Listen you are kicking this up the bum by going and good for you, please keep it up and dont give in to it...best wishes.
    Kez xx

Hi Hayley,
    I have been to the hairdressers twice since I was 18 (i'm almost 28) and fear it more than the dentists! But can I just say that you are doing so well for keeping your appointments every six weeks, well done!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information