Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Want To Have A Few Drinks Again But I Am Scared HELP

I Want To Have A Few Drinks Again But I Am Scared HELP

I'm really nervous about it, I had Generalised anxiety disorder for a few years, I'm not sure if it was counsilling that stopped my anxiety or if it was giving up alcohol and caffeine. I finished CBT around about when I gave up alcohol 1 year ago or so, I've actually just went back on the caffenine about 2 weeks ago with no problems at all, I now want to go back to the alcohol, because going out to pubs and clubs isn't any fun with out a drink, but as mentioned I am scared, I am scared that its the main cause of my anxiety, and by starting it again I will go right back to square 1 with generalised anxiety. Then there is the guilt of actually drinking, I've been of it a year, I fear i'll beat myself up with guilt if I go back to it, because giving up alcohol is quite a feet for a clubber. I'm not talking about getting legless, I'm talking about half a dozen beers on a Sat night

I'm so confussed Grrrrr

Re: I Want To Have A Few Drinks Again But I Am Scared HELP

Is it the alchahol that brought on the panic last time? If so how much did you have to drink to get in that state. I think the main problem will be that if you are so scared to drink, just drinking whilst scared of doing it will probably bring one on. I drink to get rid of my panic. But I know that if I sparked up a spliff right now i'd have a panic attack. Even being in the same room as some one doing it makes me panic because thats what brought mine on in the first place. If drink brang it on in the first place. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to start untill you are sure you can cope..

I hope this helped. If not just say. Thanks

hi hun,
    if your able to just have a couple then id say thats ok, i know when i have to much to drink my anxiety bad next day, but youve obviously got will power . you dont say if you gave up booze as you were dependent on ut were u? coz that would be different and id say stay clear. but if it was just to help your panic etc just try a couple and see how you go.
    becca xx

I don't think so, The thing that put me off it was, did you ever get drunk on totally vodka and redbull?? The caffeine sent me bloody haywire, I must have had about 7 So having a caffeine attack while drunk actually scared me.

Its another fear I feel I need to beat

Quote Originally Posted by bexy1970 View Post
    hi hun,
    if your able to just have a couple then id say thats ok, i know when i have to much to drink my anxiety bad next day, but youve obviously got will power . you dont say if you gave up booze as you were dependent on ut were u? coz that would be different and id say stay clear. but if it was just to help your panic etc just try a couple and see how you go.
    becca xx
    No I was never dependant, I was a one night a week guy, but as I say, I don't know if it was Alcohol that caused anxiety and panic attacks or they just sort of happened because of my negative self talk etc

oh eck!! not suprised on vodka and red bull!!! lol nice tho! dont think having couple of beers will do you any harm hun, dont forget will go to your head quite quick after none for a year. i know wot u mean tho, i love goin out to pubs etc but now i worry a bit as my prob is i dont know when to stop and regret like mad the next day, but like i said you seem a strong charachter so just play it by ear, have a couple, you dont need to get drunk hunni xx

ps. do what you feels right, theres no point bringing on a pa..cant you say have a shandy stead of a straight beer, youll still feel like you having a drink then.

Break yourself back into it gently, have a few at home before having a few outside of home.

That way you can lie down if you feel under par,

What works for me is a couple of glasses of red wine (can control the affect more than lager) until im just past tipsy. Then i stop.

See how you go, it seems you have made your mind up already anyway but "dont overdo it", how cliche is that?

But true,

Cons

William Butler Yeats

MY STORY: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42149

hi again
    cons,, that was what i meant to say too, try having a couple at home first.. glad you said that.. xx

oh eck!! not suprised on vodka and red bull!!! lol nice tho! dont think having couple of beers will do you any harm hun, dont forget will go to your head quite quick after none for a year. i know wot u mean tho, i love goin out to pubs etc but now i worry a bit as my prob is i dont know when to stop and regret like mad the next day, but like i said you seem a strong charachter so just play it by ear, have a couple, you dont need to get drunk hunni xx

ps. do what you feels right, theres no point bringing on a pa..cant you say have a shandy stead of a straight beer, youll still feel like you having a drink then.
    The way I look at it is, if it all goes Pete Tong i've got through anxiety before and I can get through it again. It was always the nexy day that was the trouble for me also.

hi again
    cons,, that was what i meant to say too, try having a couple at home first.. glad you said that.. xx
    I wasn't planning on going anywhere tonight, just a few in front of TV, In saying that my heart isn't 100% in it, but I want to do it to prove to myself I am not scared so to speak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information