Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Want To Have A Few Drinks Again But I Am Scared HELP

Re: I Want To Have A Few Drinks Again But I Am Scared HELP

I know exactley what you mean ^

William Butler Yeats

MY STORY: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42149

Grrr I just don't know what to do!!! I want to do it to prove to myself I'm not scared but then I dont want my anxiety back.

If I only knew that I couldn't go back to where I was, I have leant alot of skills through CBT so in theory I should never be as bad as I was

Hi there

I hope you get to read this response.

My hubby has had anxiety for 15yrs it started after his mother died. he started to drink to numb the pain of his loss. he would drink only 4 cans per night which then became an addiction.
    I became ill emotionally 3yrs ago and he has stood by me through it all and to a cost. His drinking became more and started with Diazapam to help him which I believe is the worst thing the gp did.

Drinking and taking drugs.
    He went for help with his drinking and was offered a bed to detox. that was November last year.
    He successfully did it and my god he changed so fast, he said that alot of the anxiety had gone and he couldnt believe how good he felt.
    He looked healthier and was able to function.

Unfortunately I had a bad time in Feb and self harmed pretty badly, he started to drink again.He takes about 3 cans per night and all his anxiety is back.

I feel the guilt because he come so far and I distroyed it.
    Ive asked him if he will give up and he said no. I dont understand why back Im not in his shoes.

All I want to say to you is, I wish you well with what you decide but if you do drink again its not your fault its the way you cope.
    We all have our own vices which only us can control but it takes time.

take care of you
    Smudgie

Can I ask - What is the point of drinking alcohol. I know you say you don't want to be scared of doing something but evidence shows that alcohol does cause physical stress. This is not something you can necessarily control it is simply the way your body reacts to the chemicals ie it is basically toxic and each person has their own bodies limits.

Now ok most people can drink some alcohol without it causing any bad effects but it does cause some the main one being it alters our perceptions. In some people this is calming and in others it causes aggression and in others it causes panic.

What I'm getting at is if you have suffered with anxiety and obviously worked really hard to get over it and deal with things why bother running the risk of starting the whole thing off again. Especially with a substance that isn't necessary. Surely you can enjoy yourself at a club or bar without the need for alcohol.

If someone told me that eating or drinking one substance caused the misery that is panic and anxiety I sure as hell wouldn't be thinking about trying to take it.

You don't need it don't risk it.

Thought I would give you's an update. I had a few drinks IE 6 tins of lager, while I felt ok when drinking it I was anxious yesterday and even last night had disturbed sleep. All this has done has reafirmed that giving up alcohol was the right choice for me. However I mentioned this to my wife, and she says she also gets like this after alcohol, and a guy at work today was describing the same thing, These are people without anxiety, so it must be the norm with alcohol and I am better of without it

Hi there

Just want to say I wish you well and good luck

take care of you
    smudgie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information