Thread: speech problems

speech problems

has anyone had any problems like trouble articulating words or slightly slurred speech? i've convinced myself i have some serious disorder like ALS. i just hate this so much.

Re: speech problems

For about a year or so I've been under intense, chronic stress with no reprieve due to terminal illness in the immediate family. The result: extreme, heightened anxiety. I've had occasional flashes of something similar to what you're mentioning - I notice them only because before all this crap happened I'd always thought myself to be an extremely articulate person.

It's less slurred speech for me, but it's sometimes a stretch to find a word - which is an unsettling feeling. I couldn't think of "emphasis" last night - albeit I'd had a couple drinks. I wouldn't worry about it too much - I had certainly convinced myself for awhile that it was a symptom of something serious, but at this point I chalk it up to nothing more than my brain being overloaded with stress and responsibility and simply not functioning at the level it used to.

If you start having EXTREME trouble I'd see a doctor.

Hi. Same for myself and a friend I know. We seem to have lost our vocabulary & it can be very frustrating. Not sure if it's due to the anxiety or the meds

several months ago i started having some severe social anxiety which seemed to turn into some kind of speaking problem i guess. its not all the time, it just comes and goes at different times, but recently i had death in my family which seemed to complicate things.

I have had sessions where I feel my speech is slurred and slow, but when asked, those I am talking to can't tell, and yes I did think I was just about to have a stroke, but it wasn't and just disappeared like all anxiety symptoms do.

Take care, Christine xx

Thread Information