Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chat Room

Chat Room

This is n't really a post about the Chatroom as such, it's more about social anxiety.

I've gone in the chatroom a few times but I find I have the same problem I have in real life eg pubs. I find it difficult to get into a conversation especially as everyone already seems to know each other. I find myself just observing what's going on.

Am I the only person with this problem? How do other people cope?

Thirtysomething

Hiya 30

We are all new in there at some point so don't let that worry you.

Be like most in there and just start chatting away and jump in and be nosy and ask questions etc. It will get easier in time.

If I am in when you are I will start a conversation with you and get you chatting ok?

Nicola

No you are not and many people have spent a lot of time just observing before they felt able to join in. It takes time but i am sure if people read this post who go into the chat room they will help you join in and feel comfotable about it.

I know it seems that everyone knows each other really well but you will amazed how some people have only met on that night, it is just one of those places where people feel relaxed and join in. Dont you worry you will be fine and get lots of help in there.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Hi there,
    I feel exactly the same, have only been to the chatroom once or twice, have always been welcomed, but that quite scares me, i am not very computor lit. but i feel if i don't join in, it looks bad, as if i'm looking in Mind you, at my age i'm normally ready for my bed at 10 p.m. take care and just go for it - there are so many likeminded people here you can't go wrong, let me know how you get on xx

hi thirtysomething,

Just come in and 'listen' for a while. Most of us do know eachother but there are new people the whole time. The more, the merrier!! You can join in or not - whatever you are more comfortable with.

Sarah

Hi Thirtysomething

You are not alone in this. I also have social phobia and found it really difficult in the chat room at first. Even now I know the regulars, I still mainly watch if it is really busy. I find talking to people on the net easier than speaking, but still have difficulty getting involved in the conversations sometimes.

As others have said, it is perfectly fine to come in and watch until you feel more comfortable. I think going into the chat room has helped me and now there are a few people from this site that I am actually able to speak to on the phone. We all have to start somewhere.

Hope to see you in there sometime.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

hi thirty

I to find it difficult sometimes on the chatroom but just jump in ...i do...lol

della

ah i feel dead guilty now cos i was talking to you for a bit but had to go. sorry,
    I've only been n chat room a few times and u do just have to jump in the first couple of times i went on i was first in then u do get talking to people b4 it gets to busy,

Ill look out for u next time but dont be shy we are all in the same boat, i dont really know anyone yet either,

feel free to pm me if you want a private chat any time

hope u have a good day take care xx

kairen x

First time I went into the chatroom, as soon as someone spoke to me I left!![:I]

I did go back again though, and stayed to chat! It definately gets easier and the more often you visit, the more familiar names become and you find that you automatically join in.

Look forward to seeing you there soon!

Kate x

hi kate it was prob, me that scared you off, LOL

kairen x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information