Thread: Application form - explaining absence

Application form - explaining absence

Hi all, I was hoping for some advice...I'm applying for a job internally (a grade up from my post), and the first question on the application form asks for your "general attendance", specifically sickness as a first item to comment on. I'm applying for aq job one grade up from my usual post, and am concerned as to what to write for this, as I had three months off work when I had a nervous breakdown in 2007. Everyone in work is aware of this, and were brilliant at the time, but I don't want to destroy my chances of not even making the paper sift by stating the obvious and drawing attention to it. I have been racking my brains as to what I can put which is truthful but not making myself out to be an unreliable candidate.

Does anyone have any advice or similar experiences? Any assistance would be much appreciated! (apart from "if you had a nervous breakdown you probably shouldn't be applying so soon!!!). Thanks!!! x

Re: Application form - explaining absence

HI Missy,

If everyone at work was aware of this at the time,can you avoid mentioning this?
    The fact that you are still at the same company and possibly moving onwards and upwards shows how respected you are.You can address this period by pointing out how grateful you were for the support you received from both the company and your colleagues.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Thread Information