Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: disability living allowance (dla) & agoraphobia

disability living allowance (dla) & agoraphobia

Hi, I am a single parent on income support but with an extra payment for long term sick, I visited the jobcenteplus today to ask for a loan because I can only travel around using my own car, but as my car got stolen in January the only car I could afford is a very old one and not really reliable, I am unable to use public transport or travel in other peoples cars.

The lady explained that loans would not be given out for cars but when I explained why I needed a car she said was I not on disability living allowance, she then helped me make a call and arrange a form to be sent to me.

I basically have agoraphobia and general anxiety and am interested to know if others have got dla for this reason.

If you don't want to give circumstances a quick yes or no would be helpful.

Many thanks Christine xx

Re: disability living allowance (dla) & agoraphobia

Christine hun I get it for those exact reasons.

Piglet

Hi christine

I was able to get DLA at the lowest rate for help with taxi fares when i was unable to use public transport but i wasnt claiming any other beneift at the time so im not sure if that makes a difference.

I remember when i claimed the allowance i told them that i was wanting a little part-time job but what was the point if all my earnings where going to go on taxi fares. They sent me forms to fill in to which i had to get my GP to sign to say about my problem.

I dont have much knowledge on the benifts system so im unsure if my post is helpful.

Love

Andrea
    xxxxxx

Take a look at this site for advice on filling in the forms and also if you get turned down how to appeal.

DLA is not actually means tested so you don't have to be on any other benefits to be eligible. It sort of works abit like child benefit - if you qualify, you get it regardless of your income.

However if you are on benefits it can sometimes increase your income support by income support giving you a premium (if you don't already get a premium). Definately worth looking into though.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

Piglet

Hi Christine

I get it for those exact reasons too.
    My CPN helped me fill in the forms and she said that when you reply to make sure you say how you are when you are at your worst.

Good luck with it hun

Pink
    xxx

There are two components to DLA; care and mobility. The forms to apply for DLA can be quite daunting so if you are unsure, organisations like the CAB can help you complete them. There is also a section for someone who knows about your condition e.g. GP to add their comments. Although DLA can be backdated to when you first apply, it is paid weekly or four weekly so probably won't be enough up front to buy a car. However it is an additional benefit and as someone has said, it is not means tested. Go for it!

Hi Chris
    I get DLA for being unable to go out on my own and for help with personal care, I get the low rate for each thing. When you get the form you have to fill it in what your like at your worst, dont be put off by all the questions just fill it in as if you are having your worst day, thats the advice I was given and how I filled mine in. Good luck and remember you can always appeal if they say you cant have it.
    love Mags xxx

I've never looked into this myself. My bf works full time, I'm studying at the moment, we have two children. I have Bi-Polar/Anxiety/Panic, I have honestly never thought about claiming. I guess I'll be eligible too then ? This would really help.

You can get dla when you have agoraphobia, but as previous posts mention, get someone to help you fill in the form, because the way its worded is very important.....the citizens advice bureau are really good, or your cpn if you have one, a social worker, doctor etc, they know the system. They back date any payments from the date you apply. Dla isnt classed as an income as its purely for your disability eventhough you have to declare it, so it wont affect any other benefits you get.
    If your awarded the high mobility rate you can lease a car through the 'mobility scheme'. That means that your mobility payment can be used to pay for a new car for you and is inclusive of your car tax and insurance.
    Take a look at the motability website it explains it all on there.
    I wish you the best of luck with your application.

Thank you so much for your replies, I will definately get help with filling in the form, I never thought I may be eligible but it was the lady on the reception desk at jobcentreplus that said I should.

It is more about the car than anything else, and some days when I am at my worse but have to go to say the bank I have no alternative than to chance parking on double yellows so I can just run in and out, this adds extra stress to an already stressful situation.

Like most of us I just tend to forget about my worst days and focus on my good days, I will have to ditch my positive attitude when I fill in the forms lol
    It actual scares me though at how bad I am, and eventhough I dream of getting back into work I really seriously cannot see me doing so, it isn't being defeatist just realistic.

Christine xx

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information