Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: disability living allowance (dla) & agoraphobia

Re: disability living allowance (dla) & agoraphobia

Hi Christine,

First off, good luck with your DLA claim and if you don't get it first time then appeal.

Secondly, I felt i had to reply to what you said about getting back to work. From reading your posts i think you are at the same stage in your anx as me and it's like we are putting ourselves out there and doing everything yet there are still some things that seem impossible. I said to my Psych last week that when you aren't able to do anything no-one expects anything from you but when you start going out doing normal things everyone thinks you are recovered and doesn't see the sheer effort we are putting in. I also feel that when you are doing normal (whatever normal is ? lol) stuff you then want to be able to do everything at once but that's not possible..... it takes time.
    I'm hoping to get back to College and like yourself i don't know if it will be achievable but hey we have to keep plodding away and stay positive mate as we are making progress ...... we will get there.
    All the best

Pink
    xxx

Hi Christine
    I am on DLA care and mobility, You can get help with buying or leaseing a car, they will pay you that instead of giving you the cash, but I looked into this and it would cost about £100 a week, so you would have to be on the high rate. To me this seems a lot, I have leased cars in the past for a lot less from car dealers and garages. Also if you are on the high rate, you are exempt from paying road tax.

I am hopeless with filling in forms, but I had no trouble with the DLA forms, so don’t worry.
    Hope this helps
    susie

why not take a peek at some of my pic and leave me feed back on my web?

Hi Christine

Apply to your local council for a blue badge......then you can park most places.....double yellows included

If you get the high rate mobility of DLA you can give up the money for a brand new car and insurance tax and breakdown cover is included

Kaz x

I got the high rate living allowance and medium rate carers got it 1st time my gp told me about it...

There replying pretty quick at the moment... the form is long and tiring and they tend to repeat the questions alot in different ways..

But you deserve a life and if that means a little bit of help along the way so be it..

Did you know if you get DLA you can apply for a car of them every two years..

Also the citizens advice beauru can help to fill the forms out with you they were very good with me..

Good luck and hope you get it

Take Care

Beth xx

Also to add on to that last thread if your on income support and you are awarded DLA they add money on to that £47 a week i think it is...

im on income support and have just got dla mobility and care at the low rate which is 17.10 each a week for agoraphobia.
    its a very hard benefit to get and you have to word it properly as the first time i was turned down.
    i would think you would get the lower rate so i dont think you get any help with a car but as you get income support you can ask for a budgeting loan.
    you can get up to 1000 on that, but it has to be for household stuff or clothes and stuff, if you tell a little fib we wont tell anyone
    they dont ask for prof of what the money went on but you do have to pay the loan back so they take some money out of your benefit each week.
    a good site is http://www.youreable.com/TwoShare/ge...e/Introduction

Hi Christine

I claimed for dla and was turned down. I am single with no children. I have physical disabilities as well as agora. The only way I could get out anywhere, even a few miles was with my car. Then I couldn't afford to run it on incap benefit and got stuck indoors. They turned me down for even the lower rate of mobility. B******S!!

I think if you have children it probably makes a difference cause if you told the dla that you have to take your child to school but can't walk or take a bus for example, they'd prolly consider it and also the child needs to be taken out sometimes, they wouldn't expect her/him to stay indoors all the time. Like other people have said, to get the lease car you need the higher rate of the mobility allowance, but you wouldn't get any money as well. They also pay the tax I think.

Where abouts do you live as in area? Is it near the school, out in the country? That also will prolly make a difference. You have to lay it on thick, not lie, but make sure they know EXACTLY what you're going thru and how far you can walk etc.

I don't think that they stick to the 'criteria' as many people on here are in the same boat, some get dla and some don't. Maybe if your face fits or something, I don't know. But certainly with a child involved, they wouldn't turn you down.

Good Luck

Elspeth

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Hi Christine

I claimed for dla and was turned down. I am single with no children. I have physical disabilities as well as agora. The only way I could get out anywhere, even a few miles was with my car. Then I couldn't afford to run it on incap benefit and got stuck indoors. They turned me down for even the lower rate of mobility. B******S!!

I think if you have children it probably makes a difference cause if you told the dla that you have to take your child to school but can't walk or take a bus for example, they'd prolly consider it and also the child needs to be taken out sometimes, they wouldn't expect her/him to stay indoors all the time. Like other people have said, to get the lease car you need the higher rate of the mobility allowance, but you wouldn't get any money as well. They also pay the tax I think.

Where abouts do you live as in area? Is it near the school, out in the country? That also will prolly make a difference. You have to lay it on thick, not lie, but make sure they know EXACTLY what you're going thru and how far you can walk etc.

I don't think that they stick to the 'criteria' as many people on here are in the same boat, some get dla and some don't. Maybe if your face fits or something, I don't know. But certainly with a child involved, they wouldn't turn you down.

Good Luck

Elspeth
    you should claim again.
    i was turned down the first time as they said when i was out i was aware of where i was, didnt matter that i had to have someone with me and get there in the first place
    i read up about what wording to use on the form, to put my worse days, and to put that WHEN i have instead of IF i have on the forms.
    i have no kids or a car.
    ive only just started getting it, i get mobility as i have to have someone with me if i go out.
    and i get the care cos of the cooking test, i can cook but dont have the confidence to be sure its cooked so need someone else to look at it.
    if you havent claimed for a while give it another go as also the form was a different one to the first one i did and its a lot easyer to fill out now if you have agoraphobia.
    good luck

hi, i was wondering if anyone thinks i could maybe be eligible for any benefits? i suffer from agoraphobia, monophobiand anxiety. i cant stay in the house by myself even for a couple of minutes as i have panic attacks i have to have someone with me who can drive if i want to go out as i cant feel trapped anywhere, i'm also agoraphobic but have worked really hard on this and can go up to 20 miles from home but only if i'm with a trusted person. i can't drive anymore due to anxiety. i do work but my partner and best friend work at the same place and take me there. if my partner has a day off ill i wont go into work either as i cant cope. i think youre right, to outward appearances i'm coping because i go to work but people dont know how hard it is and only possible due to relying on others. i cant go into taxis or buses etc so couldn't go anywhere alone.

i'd appreciate any feedback

thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information