Thread: Over Breathing

Over Breathing

Hello!

Sorry I didnt know if this was the correct section to post on but I was wondering does any have problems with overbreathing? Its a little difficult to explain but when I feel panicky or anxious I tend to to take deep big breaths, I think just to prove to myself that I can breathe. After a little while becuase Ive done this a few times I can't take deep breaths because I have been over breathing. Obbiously I then get more paniky and anxious becuase I think I cant breathe!

Does this make sense to anyone?

Lisa

Re: Over Breathing

Yep - its called Hyperventilation - I have read books on this because I have done this for years now. When we are anxious we release adrenaline which then makes our breath quicker and faster and our chest feels tight. We then panic about that which makes the muscles tense up and we cant draw a big breath in. If we drop our shoulders, relax and breathe very slowly from the tummy - little breaths - in to a count of 5 and out to a count of 6 or more - and distract ourselves by counting or looking out the window etc it will pass.

I remember once in a meeting with my Dr having a panic attack because I was over breathing - my hands and feet curled and locked up and he made me breathe in and out of a paper bag to re balance the correct oxygen and carbon dioxide in my lungs and gradually i was ok but very dizzy and shakey afterwards

Its just our body trying to help us coz it thinks we are in danger- the key thing is NOT to force breatihing - you will always get enough air in as the body is amazing - we breathe when we are asleep so we can do it without thinking about it.

Having said all this - I had a meeting with my solicitor yesterday and began overbreathing and felt dizzy so I had to pinch myself to distract myself and concentrate on his talking to me and relax and I slowly breathed in and out using my tummy muscles rather than my upper chest.

Hope this makes sense - its difficult to describe but its not your fault and you can help yourself - I still have moments of panic breathing but use this site and its great as millions of people are like us!!
    Wenjoy x

Re: Over Breathing

I too can totally relate to this one. Im just getting over a stint of hyperventilation again myself.

Ive been challenging myself and have had a lot on which in turn got my adrenaline up and my breathing all to pot. not being able to take a deep breath, worrying if im doing it right, wanting to yawn or sigh all the time but not satisfying ones etc etc.

Im feeling a little better each day but when it happens i dont deal with it very well.

also ive been doing relaxation exercises which i believe have helped.

hope this helps

bobsy

Thread Information