Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olanzapine advice please

Olanzapine advice please

I have been prescribed Olanzapine for my acute anxiety, which can lead to acute agitation at times. Currently taking a very cautious 2.5 mg at night. It does have some effect, but I would like to know more about it, in particular how soon it might help me to get off Ativan, and how quickly i can reduce the latter. I have become used to dealing with anxiety via Ativan (currently max 2mg) and I know you can't just stop taking it without experiencing withdrawal, so would like to know of anyone else who has made this switchover, or who takes Olanzapine and finds it useful. Any other info welcome too, as long as it's not 'Don't touch it with a bargepole! Janey.

Re: Olanzapine advice please

Hi Janey
    I take 5mg olanzapine and it does help with the anxiety, I still have panics and I still get anxious but the olanzapine does help.
    love Mags xxx

Thanks a lot, Mags. i do need encouraging to take it, as I'm so used to Lorazepam, I'd rather take that, but the Olanzapine sounds like a more sensible option. Do you take yr 5mg at night? I've been advised to take 2.5, twice a day. Thankyou for yr input. Love, janey

Hi Janey
    I take it in the morning and I dont get drowsy with it, I find it really helpful and when I do get anxious I either listen to a relaxation cd or I have a hot radox bath which helps to unwind me.
    love Mags xxx

In the early days of my 'crisis' I was taking 10mg of Olanzapine + AD's. It certainly helped me with my sleep. I backed off all the way to 2.5mg and came off AD's, but since I can't seem to shake off my morning anxiety I have been told to go back up to 7.5mg. No AD's though. Anxiety is an off-the-label use for Olanzapine, but it seems to work (unlike AD's).

I wish you all well with your Olanzapine medication.

Thanks, Daisymoo, for yr message. I'm off Olanzepine now because of the swollen ankles, and am now taking Risperidone instead. It knocks me out. I don't like it much but I think it's having some effect on the anxiety. Hope you find some relief soon. Love, Janey

I too take olanzapine 5mg twice a day. I have only noticed a slight difference, before I was on sulpiride 200mg twice a day and that seemed to work for me. I am going to give the olanzapine a few more weeks but think i will move back to the sulpiride.

heya well i take olanzapine 20 mg started off on 5 mg olanzapine should over power the side effects off ur other meds it did with mine when i came off seroxat and thats summat that shouldnt just be stopped because of the known side effects i know without my olanzapine i get real bad anxiety but im on it as an anti phycotic to treat me with bipolar disorder i think you should seek advice from your consultant as every body is different hunny hope this is usefu x

Hi, i was on olanzapine 20mg for just over 2 years. I took it at night and it helped me get a good sleep, and the next morning i was anxiety free. I did gain a bit of weight (nearly 2 stone lol). I have been taken off olanzapine recently and put on Chlorpromazine, i find these to be very helpful, but they are only short term use for my anxiety. Olanzapine are great, but just watch your weight lol

i have been on olanzapine for two and three quarter years now. I take 15mg at night. my problem is i cant get to sleep without it. i tried cutting down to 12.5mg but have had no sucess. i find i can cut down to 12.5mg for two weeks and then the time lag kicks in and i cant sleep. it is horrible as my metabolism seems to speed up and i simply cannot calm down to go to sleep. It is not concious it happens at a sub concious level as i am fully aware and try to be calm. im really worried as if the effects of olanzapine wear off i am going to be really stuck and will have nothing to helpme sleep. I hate taking olanzapine, but seems that i have no choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information