Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some new friends

Need some new friends

Hello out there!

I'm 36, live in cheshire and new to all of this. Was wondering if anyone could help me. I would love to make some new friends as I'm finding it hard to come to terms with splitting up with my boyfriend of 19 years. I am currently seeing a counsellor to help me move on and a joint counsellor to deal with the moving on from a relationship.

I enjoy shopping, gossiping/chatting, walking/activity breaks, running but strugglying to get back into this at the moment because of my pain and grief.
    I need to get out more and enjoy myself but with only a handful of good friends I'm not really getting out and would love to make some more. I find it too difficult to do things on my own as it really hurts.

My boyfriend of 19 years left me 5 months ago but 2 months ago he said it just wasn't working out and that he'd made his mind up that he wanted out. We are living apart, I'm in the house alone we bought together which is up for sale and Stuart is renting in another town. We have no kids. Stuart was fed up with us arguing and rowing all the time but the problem was that I didn't realise how bad it had become. The rows were usually me taking him for granted and showing no respect. He has made it completely clear that he won't be coming back (there is no one else involved) and that I must move on with my life.

Unfortunately I've realised now how much I loved him and how good life was now it's all too late. I miss absolutely everything about him. I have tried to make Stuart realise that I have changed and now see him in a new light as my problem was that I'd got stuck in a rut with life and didn't realise what I had and how fortunate I was. It's been life changing and I honestly now do see how fortunate I was and what I had. But nothing will make him change his mind. He has moved on.

Stuart is trying to put more space between us and not meet up as much, I've said I can deal with us being friends because I enjoy his company and it's better than nothing. He finds it commpletely stressful when we meet up because I inenvitably cry and suggest ways to get back together or ask questions about any possible future for us. He enjoys my company and we do get on but he has moved on and as soon as I mention us as a couple he gets stressed out and I inevitably cry again. So Stuart sees us as still arguing. We do enjoy each other's company and when the conversation is bubbly and relaxed we get on just fine but this isn't enough for Stuart to come back to me as he says he is emotionally scarred from the stress and arguments and can't get that out of his head. Stuart has made it clear that if we do meet up it can only be the case if I can handle us just being friends. I find that hard because it can be so good. We are still best of friends.

The only shot I've got of a future on my own or possible with Stuart (when we've got our own separate houses) is that I need to get stronger and create a life for myself.

I really would love to meet up with people, make some new friends. I can be good company and not cry all the time, honestly! Just would love to start living and get away from this grief that I'm in.
    Thanks so much for taking the time out!

Tricia
    x
    Last edited by need some buddies; 02-05-08 at 17:34. Reason: updating

Re: Need some new friends

Hi Tricia

Welcome to NMP

I'm sorry to hear about the split with your boyfriend. I can imagine it must be extremely hard having been with him for 19 years hun.

I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason. Yes, no matter how bad they are.

Even though this has happened, from your post it does seem as though its kind of had a "lightbulb" effect for you and you are beginning to see what wasn't so great and you are getting counselling for that, which is great

The only thing is, as much as you want your boyfriend back, I think it would be more beneficial to you emotionally to try to start accepting that you and he may not get back together.

The counselling you are having, the help you are getting - this should be for you. I think that once things are clearer for you, then everything external to you will become clearer as well.

It would be good if you two could stay friends as you obviously get on well as friends. But if seeing him in this capacity is causing you stress then it isnt good for you emotionally and maybe you need to take a break from meeting up. It might be that you both need time out - but I only say dont pin your hopes of getting back together because you are then aiming for something at which you dont know the outcome and it may end with you being hurt more, which wont help your anxiety.

This might be a good time to concentrate on you - number one - to really get to the bottom of any issues you may have.

I hope that's of some help hun. Keep posting

Jo xxxxx
    If I could speak words of water,
    You would drown when I said
    "I love you."

thanks so much for reading and replying it really does help.

What you say makes sense
    Thanks and take care
    tricia x

Re: Wanna be my friend?

Quote Originally Posted by need some buddies View Post
    Hello out there!

I'm 36, live in cheshire and new to all of this. Was wondering if anyone could help me. I would love to make some new friends as I'm finding it hard to come to terms with splitting up with my boyfriend of 19 years. I am currently seeing a counsellor to help me move on and a joint counsellor to deal with the moving on from a relationship.

I enjoy shopping, gossiping/chatting, walking/activity breaks, running but strugglying to get back into this at the moment because of my pain and grief.
    I need to get out more and enjoy myself but with only a handful of good friends I'm not really getting out and would love to make some more. I find it too difficult to do things on my own as it really hurts.

My boyfriend of 19 years left me 5 months ago but 2 months ago he said it just wasn't working out and that he'd made his mind up that he wanted out. We are living apart, I'm in the house alone we bought together which is up for sale and Stuart is renting in another town. We have no kids. Stuart was fed up with us arguing and rowing all the time but the problem was that I didn't realise how bad it had become. The rows were usually me taking him for granted and showing no respect. He has made it completely clear that he won't be coming back (there is no one else involved) and that I must move on with my life.

Unfortunately I've realised now how much I loved him and how good life was now it's all too late. I miss absolutely everything about him. I have tried to make Stuart realise that I have changed and now see him in a new light as my problem was that I'd got stuck in a rut with life and didn't realise what I had and how fortunate I was. It's been life changing and I honestly now do see how fortunate I was and what I had. But nothing will make him change his mind. He has moved on.

Stuart is trying to put more space between us and not meet up as much, I've said I can deal with us being friends because I enjoy his company and it's better than nothing. He finds it commpletely stressful when we meet up because I inenvitably cry and suggest ways to get back together or ask questions about any possible future for us. He enjoys my company and we do get on but he has moved on and as soon as I mention us as a couple he gets stressed out and I inevitably cry again. So Stuart sees us as still arguing. We do enjoy each other's company and when the conversation is bubbly and relaxed we get on just fine but this isn't enough for Stuart to come back to me as he says he is emotionally scarred from the stress and arguments and can't get that out of his head. Stuart has made it clear that if we do meet up it can only be the case if I can handle us just being friends. I find that hard because it can be so good. We are still best of friends.

The only shot I've got of a future on my own or possible with Stuart (when we've got our own separate houses) is that I need to get stronger and create a life for myself.

I really would love to meet up with people, make some new friends. I can be good company and not cry all the time, honestly! Just would love to start living and get away from this grief that I'm in.
    Thanks so much for taking the time out!

Tricia
    x

Hi Tricia,

Welcome to the Forum.

You will get loads of support and advice here.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

thanks matey! :-)
    tricia x

hiya Tricia to nmp its lovely to have yoiu here . you will get lots of support/advice and make some great friends along the way. have a good read off the forum and the help sections on the left. all so dont forget to viisit the chat room whjere you can talk to us all about things or have a relax and a giggle.
    best wishes
    take care

kellie .xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thank u!!!!!
    tricia xxx

Smile Re: Need some new friends

Welcome to NMP
    I'm Dawn and have been a member for over 2 yrs.You wont find a better group than this.discusions are varied any thing from panic attacks to our love lives and every thing in bewteen. t/c

thamks!
    xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information