Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Pressure Wrist Monitor

Blood Pressure Wrist Monitor

Hey all.

Has anyone used one of those wrist blood pressure monitor things? I had my BP checked by my doctor recently: came out as 120 / 80 which is on the money, apparently.

Still, genius that I am, I thought I’d buy a wrist monitor so as to give myself some peace of mind. Net result is I now check it every ten minutes … :(

Anyway, it seems to vary from around 110 / 60 to 148 / 89 (if I’m particularly anxious.) Anyone get similar kind of numbers? Should be below 140 / 90, I believe, but I think it’s the second number, diastolic, which is important, right…?

Thanks!

Henry
    (who, believe it or not, is not usually a hypochondriac … )

Oh Henry,

You're quite right.

120/80 is great and spot on so you have no need of this at all - sell it on ebay or hide it away for several decades time or give it to someone who needs it.

You're well informed...

Yes, its the diastolic which is the more crucial as it shows the pressure whilst the heart is at rest and yes, its 140/90 for several daily / weekly readings that will trigger treatment - not a one off and no snap shot reading should be taken before having sat quietly for 5 mins.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Heh, thanks! I’m an idiot [head hung in embarrassment]. If only I hadn’t walked down the wrong isle in Dixons …

Cheers,
    Henry
    (walking purposefully to the dustbin …)

LOL Henry

Hi Henry
    Best thing you can do is get rid of it , everytime you check it you'll be feeling anxious therefore probably have a high reading. But your blood pressure at 120/80 is fine last time i had mine checked it was 118/70 and was told that was ok too. The nurse told as long as it doesn't go over 145/90 your pressure is fine.
    Take care
    Tracy
    x

Hi Henry,

My dad bought one of these things and was just like you...using it all the time.
    The doctor told him to get rid of it before he talked himself into high blood pressure.
    So I agree with Meg....E-Bay for sure.

Jude x

Hiya

I have one of the arm ones but I don't use it obsessively. I have a high blood pressure and am on meds for it but I use it to do readings for the doc and nothing more. I don't even read too much into the readings - just take them to him

I am aware what is high but try not to dwell on it being high one day and the ok the next.

I don't know whether this is true or not but my doc said the arm ones were better than the wrist ones too.

Nicola

Re: Blood Pressure Wrist Monitor

Blood pressure varies throughout the day, even every few minutes.
    The White Coat Scenario has been proved that many people's BP rises in a surgery or hospital and I believe that one will nearly always getting a lower reading at home.
    Ironically my doctor says take your BP (the wrist one) when you are relaxed, knowing that I m always anxious, but he still has a point that if he feels the BP is too high, it needs to be brought down .

Hi,
    I don't know anything more about Blood Pressure Wrist Monitor. I hear first time from you. Thanks for this new information.
    As I know diastolic number under 70 mm Hg and systolic blood pressure less that 120mm Hgs, from this we can say normal blood pressure.

I had mine today i'm 120/90 which is borderline ok, something else for me to worry about

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information