Thread: MRI & MS Anxiety

MRI & MS Anxiety

Hello

I received a letter from the hospital today giving me the date for my MRI scan.

Hadn't felt too bad today but within an hour or so of reading the letter my back started to get sore and I have pins and needles in the backs of my legs now.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can stay calm - I don't want to end up (again) in full blown panic/anxiety mode...

thanks

Re: MRI & MS Anxiety

hey veebee, mill here x

steady breathing hun and sips of cold water.

its natural to feel apprehensive regarding this hun, but it is better that u are doing something about it than hiding from it.

our anx makes us fear and any minor twinge or thought gets blown up into major worry.

try and stay calm hun, but if u have a pa, its ok, ull be ok.

i think its great that u are doing something positive to sort this problem and wish i could hold ur hand thru this difficult time,

my thoughts and support are with u vee,

come meet again in chat hun

mill xxxx

Thanks Mill for being so supportive - had a rubbish night's sleep last night and when I got up my back was so achey. I just need to get through this and get it sorted.

How are you?

Vic
    x

hiya hun. i understand how anxious you must feel right now, waiting to have or hear about scans or results are pretty scary. try to stay calm and like milly said do some nice slow breathing and sip water ( preferibly cold from the fridge) to help you along. im sure this mri scan is only going to show you that you are fit and healthy in ur body and put this fear of ms to rest for once and for all. staying postive is good for your mind and your soul so try ur best.
    love and happiness to you
    take care
    kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hiya veebee

I'm really sorry you're struggling right now - I just want to ask have you ever had and MRI before?

I've had two recently both for different things and although I suffer from really bad anxiety and sometimes feeling claustrophobic I got through both with the minimum of stress.

The worst thing about the actual scan is the noise the machine makes - but the radiographer will give you headphones and they usually pipe in some relaxing/calming music or you can take a CD of your choice into the booth with you. Once the music is on, it takes your mind off things...

The best thing to do is to close your eyes and try to keep your breathing as slow and calm as possible. It will be over much quicker then you think. If at any time you feel you cannot carry on, the radiographer provides you with a little button which you can press, it alerts them you need some attention and the scan will stop. Afterwards if you feel a bit woozy they will give you a drink of water and won't let you leave until they know you are ok.

It's easy for me to say, but please try not to worry too much - it isn't the pleasantist of experiences but I'm sure you will cope admirably with it and if it helps put your mind at rest then it's def for the best...

Take care
    Cavey
    xx

Thread Information