Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: B12 Deficiency

Re: B12 Deficiency

I am interested to know what actually causes someone to be B12 deficient. I was always lead to believe it was quite rare, especially in younger people. And if you had it there was something wrong somewhere else in your body?

its usually either caused by diet or alcohol can do it aswell so ive been told by dr, doesnt mean anything else is wrong though and it can be treated

Just a quicky from me - I had B1 deficiency (Thiamine) caused by excessive alcohol consumption. What I found out though is a deficiency in one of the B's can lead to the rest not working properly in the brain. So in addition to 100mg of B1 I was also put on Vit B complex.

While I no longer need the B1, I still take the complex. My diet isn't the best, so I'd rather take a supplement just to top up. The B's have a strong effect on mood and how you feel, and taking the vitamins has certainly helped me.

Krakers.

When your heads in the sand you can't see the wood for the trees - namely because you're staring at sand.

I don't really eat the best if i'm honest which doesn't help my low b12, I rarely eat the food they say has it in, I had my last blood tests and they have now put me on folic acid tablets for up to 6 months i think, I feel alot better but for the last few days I have been feeling a bit dizzy again , but my mum has been similar so i'm not sure if there isn't just something going around at the min so i think i'll give it a week to see if it goes before i rush back to the docs. I have been getting acne with the shots i have been having though which i hate.

Hi there scooby. Folic acid is B9, so not sure why you've been prescribed that for a B12 deficiency. Like I said in my last post, a deficiency in just one B can stop the rest working effectively, and acne is a possible side effect of deficiency in B5. Not saying this is the cause, but I'd certainly look at B complex - its got them all in and you can pick them up at any supermarket quite cheaply.

Its worth having a look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_b for more info about the B's and why they are so important. You can also find out what food groups contain which B's by following the links.

Krakers.

When your heads in the sand you can't see the wood for the trees - namely because you're staring at sand.

I had some b vitamin tablets but I stopped taking them when i was told to take the folic acid ones.
    I don't think they have b5 in, well it says this on the pack
    Thiamin b1
    riboflavin b2
    niacin
    b6
    folic acid
    b12
    panthothenic acid

are any of the above b5,
    I'm seeing my doc on thurs and ill ask why i'm getting folic acid tablets for a b12 deficiency it was strange to me when i first got them but i figured they knew what they were doing.

Hi Scoob - B5 is Pantothenic acid, so yes the last one in your list is in fact B5. My ones from Superdrug have exactly the same ingredients as yours. The ones from my doc are a little more confusing as they contain :

20mg Nicotinamide
    2mg Pyridoxine
    2mg Riboflavine
    4.85mg Thiamine mononitarate

I can only presume the first 2 ingredients break down during digestion and have quite a few of the other B's in them. Will look it up a bit later to see if the prescribed ones have more in than the shop bought ones.

I wouldn't be overly worried about taking more than one Vit B supplemement at once for the following 2 reasons :

1 The info with my Vitamins says "Vitamin B Compound Strong Tablets are unlikely to cause side-effects as any excess vitamin B is excreted from the body." Although it does go on to have the cover all caveat that states "If you do get any unusual effects, tell your doctor immediately."

2 I was on 100mg of B1 as well as B Complex as prescribed by my doctor. That meant I was taking 7,489% of my RDA for Thiamine (B1). My doc said this was quite fine and I didn't suffer any ill effects.

I should mention though that I only said acne is a *possible* side effect of B5 deficiency. Doesn't mean it is in your case, I was just following up the thread with what I know about the B's. If you become concerned about it or it goes on for a prolonged period of time, the best person to ask, as always, is your doctor.

Krakers.
    Last edited by Krakers; 16-06-08 at 19:20. Reason: Pressed post half way through writing - sorry

I have had my acne nearly 3 months now i had really good skin before that, I got it after my second or third b12 injection and it hasn't really gone since even though i had my last shot over 9 weeks ago.
    I mentioned it to my doc last time i went and he doesn't think it's a side affect of the shots I had but I do.
    I have been taking the Dianette contraceptive pill to see if this helps it at all , for the first week it really helped the redness go down but thats about it so far but it has only been 17 days on them. I will try if for the next 3 months and see if it helps it at all.
    At my docs thursday again cos of the acne and i have been feeling a bit dizzy again the last week and see what he says.

Went to the docs and He got me to have another shot, He say's I will have to have them probably every 3 months for the rest of my life.
    Still having folic acid tablets too, i forgot to ask how long i have to have these for.
    I said to him I think it was the shots causing my acne and he says it could be but he's never seen anyone have this as a side affect to the shots, I'm hoping just haveing one won't make it worse again and it will start clearing soon.
    Still a bit dizzy bit it's just on and off again since monday maybe happening twice a day or less again.

I am scheduled for a FBC again soon.

One of you mentioned about funny eye sensations. What do you get exactly as my eyes have been playing me up for a little whils but the optician couldn't see anything.

The past couple of days I have been feeling very weighed down and have had pins and needles in my arms and legs. I'm a little worried but the Dr always says it's anxiety.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information