Thread: Cut myself out again

Cut myself out again

I get on really well with my work colleagues when I'm in the work environment but tonight they're all going on a hen night out to which I was invited weeks ago. I originally said I'd go but it would depend on where they went. They decided on a meal and then an 80's style club afterwards. I used to go to the place in my 20's so know it well. At that point I decided I couldn't cope with going and pulled out.

This solved the issue of the horrid anxiety I get at the thought of going out in a gang of people (there are others that I won't know going too), but I' m left with feelings of having let them down- especially one of my trainees who was trying to persuade me yesterday that she'd have a better time if I went. There's a part of me that wishes I could enjoy myself and get involved but the sick feeling and shaking I get, plus the desire to escape and run away home are too much to deal with anymore. None of them know about my problem with anxiety as there have been a couple of staff in the past with similar problems and none of the others were particularly understanding and thought it was a little bit of a joke-not in a nasty way, I just think they didn't know how to deal with it. The boss in particular doesn't seem very clued up on anxiety and stress which can be a problem and in the end i just have to keep all my difficulties hidden away.

I just told them I was getting up ealry on Sunday (which is true) and couldn't cope with the late night. The girl who's getting married looked really disappointed which made me sad.
    I hate all these inner battles with my conscience!

Warbler

Re: Cut myself out again

Hi Warbler,

Don't give up on yourself or blame yourself for being ill.
    You can approach the girl who's getting marrried next week and confide in her.Tell her that you are unwell-no specifics required-and have to rest on Doctor's orders when not at work,at the moment.Buy her a little card and put some nice words in it to let her know you care.You could give her a little gift to go along with this.
    What you can't do today WILL become possible.
    Taking action like this will be a way of showing your Anxiety that you are fighting it-tiny acorns grow into great oak trees!
    Keep believing in yourself.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

Hi, thanks Chalky, that's a really nice idea. She only starting working at our place a couple of months ago and I really like her so I'd hate for her to be thinking I don't- if you see what I mean. Thanks so much for the idea, I feel bit better already. Soemtimes I'm so clouded by my worries I can't see the answers!

Warbler

hi ya chalkys idea was a brilliant one and if you are not ready to go out soically like that it doesnt matter i know its hard worrying what people think and so in but just set yourself tiny goals and take it from there but dont do anything you dont want too. i am learning at the moment in my cbt to not worry about what people think so much because i was constantly worried and now i have a bit more of a who cares approach hugs xxxx

5. Re: Cut myself out again

Hi Warbler

I recently done exactly the same thing.
    No one at work knows about my anxiety and a week ago the manager told us about a party they where having to say goodbye to a collegue whose leaving because shes pregnant.
    Anyway, the manager said she expected to see me there! Not in a nasty way, shes really nice but i think she realises im quite shy.

The party was to be at an indian restaurant, my worst nightmare as i have a fear of vomiting in public. I said i wouldnt be able to go. There was no way what so ever i could have say there and ate a meal in a busy restaurant with a group of people. No way, it would have been a total disaster for me. I dont think there the sort of people to understand an anxiety disorder, so i cant tell them.

I felt pretty bad as i made an excuse not to go to the last party they had.

http://mylifewithagoraphobia.blogspot.com/

Thread Information