Thread: checking

Exclamation checking

Hi everyone,

hope your all doing ok.

Recently I've noticed that I've been checking things alot, mainly my cellphone and wallet. I'll be on my way to work and then I'll double check that I've got my wallet and phone on me (in my bag) and then about 10mins later I'll do the same, it's like I'm scared of misplacing or losing these things. I feel that if I don't do it then I'll panic if I lose it or misplace it... not that this has actually happened recently.

Doe's anyone else check for things??

xx

Hi Loudlove

Yes, checking things like you describe is very common and can be associated with obsessive compulsive disorder. You might like to have a read of the infomation about this here.

I don't have the checking problem as such, apart from checking several times that I've got my keys before I go out, but that's because I did actually lock myself out once

However, I do have other OCD difficulties. Mine are more related to food and my eating disorder in that I cannot handle food so I use gloves to handle and prepare food, use disposable cutlery and cooking trays, plates etc. And I am always cleaning worktops etc in the kitchen. I think I should own shares in a kitchen roll company because I use so much of it!

The good news is that it is possible to overcome these difficulties in time and one way is to firstly reassure yourself that nothing bad will happen if you don't check whatever and it can help to write that positive statement down when you are not feeling anxious - so say I have checked that I have my wallet and my phone once and know they are in my pocket and therefore I know that I have them.

Once you have done that try to gradually increase the time between checking. It can be difficult at first but if you can manage a few minutes at first that is good. When that feels OK, increase it to 5 minutes until that feels OK and so on.

Another thing that can help is self hypnosis and the Stop Obsessive Checking download can help with this. I've used a number of their downloads to great benefit.

I hope something I've said helps.

Karen

Re: checking

Hi Karen,

thanks for your reply, that sounds like a really good idea and I will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the websites aswell, I hope your doing well!!

Take care

Monica xxx

Re: checking

Hello,

I think we all check in some form or other & some more than others.

I tend to get obsessed about checking that the gas fire & cooker are off just around the time I leave the house or have to go to bed.

My Sister always checks & re checks all plugs are out & off & she checks the doors & windows continuously before leaving the house & even when I call for her to take her out (she has panics when she drives to far) she needs me to confirm that the door is locked. I think it is because we feel if we do not check & something happens, then its our fault. So we check & double check, more so when we are stressed.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information