Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help so scared and i need dentist

help so scared and i need dentist

hi every one i am panicking cos i have a bad tooth and dont know if i need a filling or need it out and i am terrified of dentists. i dont have one so just go emergency when i need too.
    i am nearly fainting just thinking about it, my hubby says just book and go and you will feel better but im so scared.

someone please giv me some good advice

Re: help so scared and i need dentist

Donna go to this website and enter your postcode it brings up local dentists with vacancies that is the first step. Then when and if you find one, explain fully to the receptionist your fear, you will not be the first person frightened of the dentist, you can even ask the dentist to ring you for a chat first if you get to know him/her your fear might relax just enough to get you there. The go for just a visit and sit in the chair see how you feel explain to him/her that you may not be able to go through with it. They will understand they really really will. xxhugxx That web site link. http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories...iceSearch.aspx
    failing that come up here and see my dentist Nick he is lovely.

thankyou lindy i have found a nhs emergency one near me which i have rang and they said if i ring early morning i may get in and it only cost 16-75 which is not to bad i though it was gonna cost me loads more and i was panicking as money tight as it is, i just cant help panicking every time i think about going

Hi donna, i don't know if this helps but when agoraphobia was at its worst for me some years ago (late 80's early 90's), my dentist actually came to my house with one of the dental nurses, complete with tools and gloves, sterilising stuff..the works! Over the course of a year he came to give me my check-ups and i also even had a filling done...on a dining room chair in my house! He knew i had problems going out so he came to me, sounds mad now, but it did happen. I don't think they would consider it now though it might be worth asking?

Hope you feel better soon whatever you decide to do, toothaches no fun is it
    Cathy V xxx

Donna.....your Not On Your Own Hun....im So Scared, Ive Even Thought About Taking My Own Teeth Out...lol....i Finally Plucked Up The Courage This Week To Go.....only To Be Told There Is A Five Year Waiting List In My Area......relief.....but I Still Have A Bad Tooth.

Cathy Is Right, Your Dentist Will Come Out To You, My Dad Has His Treatment At Home....so That Be A Choice For You To Consider.

Good Luck.

Dawny Xxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by donna01 View Post
    hi every one i am panicking cos i have a bad tooth and dont know if i need a filling or need it out and i am terrified of dentists. i dont have one so just go emergency when i need too.
    i am nearly fainting just thinking about it, my hubby says just book and go and you will feel better but im so scared.

someone please giv me some good advice
    Many years ago I was referred to the clinic dentist (the one for the wimps as I called it) I could have gas and air. Unfortunately the dentist who did it has retired and an new man is standing in. I couldn't face a filling without gas and air but I needed a tooth out the other week.

I got as far as the chair once but couldn't go through with it, so the second time around I read up as much as I could about extractions and made myself go.

He put some stuff on my gums so I couldn't feel the needle going in and because I had looked up on-line I knew he wasn't just trying to pull what was left off the tooth out.

He was very quick and didn't hurt at all and there was no bleeding. Teeth never get better unless they are seen by a dentist and the pain is dreadful.

My phobia came from my mother and grandmother who were both afraid of the dentist.

Unfortunately my daughter has the same fear only and her teeth are really bad.

Please go to http://www.beyondfear.org/ - they have a list of dentists for people just like you.

I had not been for 16 years - had hysterics if someone mentioned the word dentist. My partner eventually sourced a dentist for me through the beyond fear site. That was two years ago and now I have been 7 times! My dentist understands 100% about panic, anxiety, phobias etc and runs a special plan for people like us. The first time I went he had cleared EVERY instrument other than a mirror and just looked without even touching my teeth. We built it up from there. Now I have had Xrays and 2 x teeth cleaned (OK with a sedative but it was OK).

All the dentists on the site are well regarded and recognised has having successfully and sympathetically dealt with phobics successfully. All the reviews are also done by people like us.

Good luck

Allye x

Heya Dons

Listen hun , you CAN do this and we will be behind u every step as much as possible . Make the appointment and go through with it , once you get to meet the dentist , if you don't feel they are sympathetic , run like hell . Im serious (for once) , I won't blab on and on about my experiences but this is ths attitude that got me in the chair hun cos I was terrified like my life was on the line cos of the ocd phobia I have . So I told myself ........ "well I don't HAVE to stay when I get there".......... but when you do I expect you will find it no where near as bad as you anticipate chick ok . Like folks have already suggested , talk to them when you ring up and explain how you are feeling , I have always got support when I have spoke of my fears b4 hand xx

You WILL be okay mate ..... be open with 'em
    We r here for u too
    Love Hope xx

thankyou everyone for your kind words im ringing in the morning and hopefully will be able to go, hubby said he will come with me. i will let you know how i got on im sooooo scared.

i am having a bad day and tooth just tops it off

all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Donna

I have a bad tooth and gum which i have ignored for months. Its getting worse and i am absolutely petrified of the dentist.

I plucked up courage to find one and register and i have an appt on tuesday.

Im so scared but i no if i leave it then it will just keep getting worse.

I dont know how i will be on tuesday, hopfully i will have the courage to keep the appt

love mandie x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information