Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nearly called an ambulance :(

nearly called an ambulance :(

Last night, i was so terrified it was the end for me!

I had this horrible sinking sort of feeling in my chest - it felt like my heart had totally stopped and I had to get moving to get it started again!

Then the muscle shakiness started - it was uncontrollable, the sort of shaking you would do if you were outside in a bikini in the middle of a snowy winter.

I felt that i couldnt breath properly,like there was someone sitting on my chest, and my heart felt like it was racing although it wasnt really that bad. I could not sit still, when i tried to make myself relax i got this overwhelming feeling of dizzyness!

I almost phoned an ambulance i was so frightened. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this or was this just a run of the mill panic attack?

A very tired Char xxxxxxx

Re: nearly called an ambulance :(

Hi, it does sound like panic to me but I would get checked out by your doc just to be on the safe side.

I tend to get very agitated when I panic, cant sit still etc. I seem to want to run away from myself ..... weird!...... or maybe run away from the panic...... its a terrible feeling whatever it is.

Try to keep in mind that its just feelings that cant possibly hurt you and in time you will recognise them for what they are.... just sensations.

I've come SO close to calling an ambulance in the past, even looked up the number for my local psych unit cos I thought I was losing my mind.

I've called the Samaritans a few times when I feel really bad, it does help just to get your feelings off your chest. I've also called NHS direct, they were incredibly understanding and offered some good advice to control panic.

Hope you feel better soon

Hi char, i think that the dizziness might be because of your breathing. If you were making an effort to relax, then perhaps you were trying to take really deep breaths? but sometimes they can make you feel light-headed and dizzy. Its because anxious people usually shallow-breathe, only using half of our lung capacity, so when we start taking deeper breaths our system isn't used to it and the chemicals involved in the breathing process become a little unbalanced...hence the dizziness.

Hope this helps a bit
    cathy xx

I am so sorry you had such a scary experience. I have almost called about three times I guess before. I know that it is a severe attack when I actually consider calling.
    I am glad you were able to calm down and make it through. Hoping things stay settled for you.

Hi Cassi23

I did something like that last Saturday Night. My Dr placed me medication, and i was only ment to take half a tablet each night. But as i was worrying about my heath i accidently took a full tablet. I didnt know what to do, but i decided to rest and see what happens. 30 minutes after taking it .... i felt a tight sensation around my throat.... and felt like i had trouble breathing. I ran for the phone as i thought i was going to suffocate. I dialled for the ambulance but something made me hang up ... (glad i did) and i rang the posion information hotline, where a nice woman helped me through it all.

I now think it was anxiety that caused me to feel that way. Anyway that was my first panic attack .... Hope its the last.

I am sorry you had to go through that, but having said that, what you suffered seems like a classical panic attack to me.
    Heavy chest followed by shaking, shallow breathing, heart racing and dizzyness.
    Classic symptomes and a classic development for a panic attack. Just relax, you're fine.
    It's nasty, but you're still here. If it were serious it wouldn't just pass like yours did.

hi i could of worte that myself them feelings are awful hope you feel better today x

Hi Cassie
    Im with amanda on this one, Yes it sounds so much like a classic panic attack hun and i do understand what you went through, i had a vey nasty one a few months ago, i woke up in the middle of the night and like you my heart was doing very strange things so strange that i couldnt even describe the feelings, anyway it went on to develop int a full blown attack, not nice BUT you do get over them, i to hope you are feeling better today
    TAKE CARE LOVE POLLY XXX

hunny i know exactly what you mean by the heart stopping feeling and moving to make it work. ... I have had it a few times... then again ..all my panics revolve around my heart ...horrid! Been nr to ringing loads of times and I have a phobia of hospitals etc..but at times I have thought i was gonna die ! but always ended up being ok x

thankyou all for your replies,

i have had an experience like this with the heart adn shaking before but not the breathing and dizzyness, I have not felt so out of control in a long time and i suppose thats what scares me.

I am just so unable to rationalise in these situations and even though i had my wonderful partner right there by my side i still felt all alone!

Silly I know. I went to docs about my breathing and iv got to have blood test as i feel theres an obstruction in my windpipe sometimes that stops me taking deep enough breaths - she said it could be anxiety! lol im sure but will have the test just to be on the safe side!

Thanks again

char xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information