Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: constant swallowing producing more saliva

constant swallowing producing more saliva

hi to all just wondering iof anybody else has suffered this and how to stop swallowing constantly and why am i producing saliva is it because im swallowing all the time plese help its driving me mad been to docs and he says its anxiety related but i cant seem to stop it

Re: constant swallowing producing more saliva

Hi Joyce.

I had this for a few months over Christmas. It was really unpleasant and especially bad at night time. I had had a chest infection at the same time and at first I thought it was related to that but I now know it was due to excessive swallowing. My cough had caused irritation in my throat and I became very anxious about that and then started the swallowing which then developed into Globus Hystericus (imaginary lump in throat) this of course caused more anxiety and more swallowing. Sometimes the amount of saliva was so bad I felt like I was drowning in it. It took me a few months to believe it wasn't anything sinister I also found taking a rennie at night and during the day helped with the saliva thing. In the end I used to let the saliva run out into a tissue or towel rather than keep swallowing. This really helped break the cycle. Hope ths helps cos I know how miserable it is.

ok i can kind of explain why you get so much saliva. ere goes.
    my doc told me when we are anx and we get the lump/tight throat feeling our throats auto think there is a blockage and will over produce saliva to get rid of the imangenary obstruction.
    are you with me so far?
    the more we swallow the longer the muscles in our throat stay tight and the longer the saliva stays .
    when you get to much saliva dont swallow it, spit it out and you wont need to keep swallowing, there fore giveing your muscles a chance to relax more.
    make sure you are not holding your tounge at the roof of ur mouth either as this wont help it will make the throat tighter.
    i hope this has hellped you hun

take care

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by sheba2 View Post
    Hi Joyce.

I had this for a few months over Christmas. It was really unpleasant and especially bad at night time. I had had a chest infection at the same time and at first I thought it was related to that but I now know it was due to excessive swallowing. My cough had caused irritation in my throat and I became very anxious about that and then started the swallowing which then developed into Globus Hystericus (imaginary lump in throat) this of course caused more anxiety and more swallowing. Sometimes the amount of saliva was so bad I felt like I was drowning in it. It took me a few months to believe it wasn't anything sinister I also found taking a rennie at night and during the day helped with the saliva thing. In the end I used to let the saliva run out into a tissue or towel rather than keep swallowing. This really helped break the cycle. Hope ths helps cos I know how miserable it is.
    did you have this all day long like me

hi there i sem to have this problem all day long with constantly swallowing and mouth filling up with saliva how do you stop it

Hi Joyce

Yes I had it all day long although it was worse at night. I often woke at night gagging because of the saliva. It used to flow out of my mouth like a tap. During the day I used to find sucking a sweet helped but only in the short term and I think it probably made the condition worse because I was still swallowing alot. Although not very dignified I found letting the saliva run out into a paper towel rather than swallowing did break the cycle but it took quite a few weeks for it to stop. Funnily enough just by writing this my mouth is producing more saliva than it needs but I know that this is anxiety due to thinking about it again.

Oh yeah when you keep swallowing you take too much air into your stomach I found that this increased the problems I have with reflux which also makes me produce loads of saliva this is why the rennies or similar antacids worked I think. Try them if you can.

hi there i seem to have this problem again with the saliva can you advise me what to do as its distressing me out again

Joyce, you need to remember that you are pregnant

your baby has taken up soo much room in your tummy, you will have so many strange feelings and having heart burn and reflux is normal for pregnancy.

you said your Dr gave you medication ?? do as your Dr advises

just spit the saliva out or swallow, keep plugging on and try to deal with your anxiety the best you can.

keep in contact with your Dr, friends and family.

i went to a and e again today cause my throat has been sore can you tell me what damage it does to your throat if you are constantly swallowing as mines feels like theres something going on although every doctor says the throat looks fine i dont understand and i dont no how to stop swallowing either wd that make my throat sore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information