Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying

Flying

I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on fear of flying. I have always been afraid but the last time I flew was last year before the panic attacks started. I am scared I am going to panic whilst in the air with nowhere to go. I am off to Nice with my friends for a weekend at the end of this month.
    I use rescue remedy which can help but would appreciate any tips anyone may have.

Thanks

Annette x

hello Annette,

Take loads of things that will help distract you such as books, music, food, water, etc. There are loads of previous posts written about flying so I'm sure if you read some, you will get some good advice..

Sarah

Hi Annette,

Boy do you get my sympathy on this one, im petrified of flying i go away in 7 weeks and i feel sick every time i think about it, reaaaallly sick, last year was the worst, i was stood in the check in and o just thought i cant do this it was pure blinding panic, but i just had to do it i calmed myself down eventually, but it was so hard, i just kept sayin dont be daft over and over hoping that i'd believe it, well i must have done cos i got on, and funnily enough i'm never as bad coming home so i think it is a bit of holiday nerves aswell.

Everytime i think about it now i just think of my holiday after the flight tell myself not to be so stupid and everything will be ok,

I think of the pilot and think if he thought for one minute that the plane was going to crash do u think he would get on it,

I know its easy to say but i do totally understand on this one i think that is one fear that will never leave me,

p's have a few drinks that works for me only a few mind or they wont let u on LOL

Ytr not to let it spoil yr holiday i pretend im sitting ao a train that takes away a bit off it.

good luck xxxx

kairen x

Ohh Kairen

*just thought i cant do this

i just kept sayin dont be daft

tell myself not to be so stupid*

Next time be a bit more upbeat and positive. Can you see the negatives in these ... not good to keep putting yourself down.

Have a go with something like ..

I'm know I'm going to be fine however uncomfortable it is ..

I'm doing ok - keep it up

Its only a little while left- well done for coping

Yes, it feels manageable . Thats good

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi Annette

I am just like you, it is the what if i panic in the middle of the flight and cant get off, which we know we cant. That is the fear that you cant get off and that brings on the panic. Remember you are with friends and it is a short flight, and if you do get anxious talk to your friends and talk your way out of it.

I took a big step last year and went abroad with my 9 year old daughter on my own, i was dying with panic as i got on the plane but i kept reminding myself that it wasnt going to beat me and however hard it got i would get through it and i did.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

hi annette,
    i'm totally scared of flying too. last time i went to heathrow airport i had to see the onsite paramedic because i had such a huge panic attack! i actually got on the flight, unbelievably enough, but with me i took my laptop, dvds, walkman, book, magazines, food, water and the kitchen sink to keep me occupied!
    the only way i could deal with it was distraction, sort of pretending i wasn't on a plane.
    henri x

With you all the way on this one Annette, I take classical music and personal cd player, press it tight in my ears.A piece of blu tac to pull and elastic band to twang.This helps a lot. i also think a lot about what is at the other end.
    I am one for writing, morning noon and night, I will write lists with pros and cons as to why I should and shouldnt go, The pros always win.
    Try to Be brave and remember you are not alone.
    Alexis
    Remember big deep breaths.

Thanks a million for all the great replies. Sorry to be so slow with the thanks. I do not seem to have had a minute to get to the computer all weekend.
    Distraction will probably help. I am going with two friends who I have known for years and they are both lovely people so that is in my favour. I have my rescue remedy and it is only a short flight.
    I have only had these panic attacks for 6 months and I feel I can't trust myself anymore. I am even worried about spoiling the weekend for my friends as unfamiliar situations seem to make me worse, but I know if I start to avoid things it will be so much harder to get on top of this.
    On the bright side I managed to get through a trip to the theatre the other day. I did start to panic but somehow managed to breathe through it. I have always loved the theatre and was determined I wasn't going to waste the opportunity. It was Jesus Christ Superstar that I saw and to be honest the actor playing Jesus was quite tasty so perhaps that distracted me. LOL.

Funny how on a good day it is so much easier to be positive.

Annette x

Hi Annette

How true that is "on a good day things seem easier" but lets all hope that we get lots more good days and no more bad days in the future. Pleased you managed to calm your panic at the threatre, but someone easy on the eyes always helps LOL

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Sal,

Heh heh.....how right you are!

Annette x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information