Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Query about MRI and MS

Query about MRI and MS

Hi

I have an MRI scheduled next month - as some of you may know I am worried about MS.

Thing is, its an MRI of my brain I'm having done....Ibut thought MS lesions showed up on the spine?

Does anyone know anything about why its my head they're scanning rather than my spine? My neuro knows its MS I'm concerned about, he says 'unlikely' but I can't understand why its my head he's scanning and not my spine.

thanks

Re: Query about MRI and MS

Now here is a bit of info http://www.guide4living.com/multiple-sclerosis/mri.htm but don't forget everything is going to turn out fine.

I have my MRI next month and I am not worrying so we will both not worry together

Hi Veebee

With My MRI ...... They only scanned the brain and the part of the spinal cord that is located in the neck. I wasnt aware that u had to check the whole spinal cord while checking for MS.

Quote Originally Posted by AcroSplat View Post
    Hi Veebee

With My MRI ...... They only scanned the brain and the part of the spinal cord that is located in the neck. I wasnt aware that u had to check the whole spinal cord while checking for MS.
    What did you have the MRI for?

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    What did you have the MRI for?
    I initially had dizzyness and vertigo. 10 days after that i noticed minor leg jerking and then shortly after that muscle twitches developed.

I thought i had a brain tumor or MS. The MRI was looking for a reason for the dizzyness and looking for traces of demylation. They found nothing and the result was: Normal Study.

Dizzyness has now gone after a month, but i still have the leg and arm jerking, and a few muscle twitches.

Quote Originally Posted by AcroSplat View Post
    I initially had dizzyness and vertigo. 10 days after that i noticed minor leg jerking and then shortly after that muscle twitches developed.

I thought i had a brain tumor or MS. The MRI was looking for a reason for the dizzyness and looking for traces of demylation. They found nothing and the result was: Normal Study.

Dizzyness has now gone after a month, but i still have the leg and arm jerking, and a few muscle twitches.

I had my MRI to see if they could find the cause of my tinnitus which I had, had in my left ear for about 16 months. They couldn't find the reason for it but found a brain tumour instead. I suffer from vertigo and I am on Serc 18 but mine is caused by an arthritic neck apparently.

Hi, sorry everyone, I'm probably just displaying my ignorance about the whole procedure...my GP did explain that the scan would take in part of my neck, I just wasn't sure whether the whole of my spine had to be scanned to check for MS.

thanks for the replies!

It is almost unheard of for someone with ms to have lesions in their spine and not in their brain, so the first one they do is the brain mri which takes in brain stem and beg of spine in neck.

I am having one in two weeks - good luck I hate the claustrophobia but as this will be my 7th I know I can get through it albeit with a racing heart and trembling body!!

They blindfolded me in mine.... which i think was a good idea as i saw nothing, so i didnt feel any claustrophobia. They should also give you something to put inside you ears.

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    It is almost unheard of for someone with ms to have lesions in their spine and not in their brain, so the first one they do is the brain mri which takes in brain stem and beg of spine in neck.

I am having one in two weeks - good luck I hate the claustrophobia but as this will be my 7th I know I can get through it albeit with a racing heart and trembling body!!

That makes three of us. Where I have mine done they allow you to bring a CD to play I am taking one by Victoria Wood this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information