Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: obsessive thoughts & anxiety

obsessive thoughts & anxiety

Hey guys,

[OK] I've been wondering, do you ever get any obsessive thougths?
    When my anxiety problems started 9 months ago, I just couldn't stop thinking about my breathing! I know that breathing is automatic, but back then, I consciously controlled it. I was thinking about breathing in, and then I was thinking about breathing out, almost like it wasn't happening naturally and I was forcing it. I was afraid that if I stop thinking about it, I would stop breathing. Same thing with swallowing. Of course, all of the thinking only made my breathing and swallowing even more messed up [Duh!] LOL
    I know it sounds silly, but I just couldn't help it.
    Also, at one point, I was really obsessed that I was going mad, and that I might just totally freak out and kill someone. I was afraid that I would lose control and harm somebody. I know that's silly too, but back then it really freaked me out.
    Sometimes I tend to get obsessed about stuff ... I do something, and then, in my mind, I go over it again and again to make sure that I did it all right. For example, I go to the store, and then when I get back home, I start thinking about how I got to the store and what exactly I did. I go over the whole thing again just to make sure that I didn't miss anything, and that I didn't do anything stupid, and that I remeber it all correctly /does that make any sense? I don't know how to explain it better/ All of these thoughts get worse when my anxiety is high.
    I was wondering if any of you also get this. Is it normal? Or am I just developing OCD /even though I don't have any rituals or anything like that, I just have some annoying thoughts that are hard to control sometimes/.

Hi Indie

I think it is perfectly normal to have a few obsessive thoughts while you are suffering anxiety problems.

These can be anything from actively controlling how you breathe to constantly over thinking everything.

As well as these - Mine used to be nail varnish [:I] - I would not go out unless my nail varnish matched what I was wearing. If I was wearing a blue jumper - then my nail varnish had to be the same colour blue.
    It used to drive everyone mental has I used to buy hundreds of bottles of nail varnish, every colour under the sun.

I would also suffer colour avoidance.
    If I suffered a panic attack in the car while wearing a green jumper, I would avoid wearing that jumper in the car again.

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx
    With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
    The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Indie,

I use to get exacly the same!! I think its just anxiety causing you to worry...not develpoing into ocd just the worry of that perhaps playing on your mind.....i also worried that id hurt someone, hurt myself, hurt the shop assistants and so on.....but again its just worry....thoughts not instructions........i really dont think its obession i just thinks its the worry that makes you go over things time and time again......

and the thought of going mad....yep....i was convinced...any article on mental health....yep id read it and then yep i had it!!! again just worry.

hope this helps.

doddy

hi indie
    i used to get those awful thought as well...i used toput a elastic band on my wrist and snap it when i caught myself thinking them[8D]

Indie,

What you're describing is the mainstay of why we are anxious.

We self perpetuate out anxious thoughts by allowing ourselves to dwell and ruminate on a subject thinking through every permutation. Therefore our sensations and feelings are given energy and kept alive and become more entrenched.

Energy follows thought

Thoughts not instructions

Thoughts : Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective
    More thoughts : Mind Games

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

hi Indie,

I always get obsesive thoughts as well. If it's not about my heart, it's about my throat, etc. As Meg says, these thoughts really are the core of our anxiety..

Sarah

Hi Indie,

I totally understand. I often think about something over and over. Like you say just to check I haven't missed anything or i have done it right. I to have an issue with breathing!

I like things matching as well but then I think is that because I think it looks better or am i being a bit autistic?

I think the thing is not to over analyize your thoughts to much as thats when they get the better of you and it becomes so repetative. I know how difficult it can be. When you feel really bad try to distract yourself with something. Or if somethings worrying you so much write it down and try to write why you think it's bothering you.

Hope this helps a bit.

Take Care,

Love PIP'S XX

Hi Indie

You have had some great replies to your post. I also get obsessive thoughts and it is hard to avoid them as they seem not only to take over your mind but your body aswell and become physical along with mental. We are here to help you and trust me it does get easier, hard work goes with it but it is worth it in the end.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Indie,

I also feel like I will stop breathing, usually last thing at night when am falling asleep, which of course wakes me up. I always try and remember one time when I fainted (not due to panic btw) and that I didn't stop breathing then. Also I have slept every night for my entire life without ceasing to breathe!
    Going over and over things seems to be a normal part of anxiety. I do this all of the time, especially after a conversation with someone. I will go over and over it in my head to check whether I sounded normal. Sometimes I convince myself that I made a fool of myself so I start to go over ways that the conversation could have gone better. I have to consciously stop myself sometimes.

I hope this helps

Annette x

HI, Indie.

I've had and still have the same feeling from time to time during the day. Am I breathing or am I forcing myself to breath? The worst feeling is that even if I'm breathing properly i don't feel as if the lounges get the air it needs. AS if breathing emptyness. The only thing that do help is to instantly do something that takes my mind out of the breathing process. For me talking a long walk listening to some trivial radio show during the walk is a relief. The walk is long and quite paced nad suddenly i don't think about it anymore. I think my mind is slowly letting go of that feeling as time goes by. Lately I have another physical effect of the PA and I feel as if I have a "tennis ball" in my throat. As if I would have eaten an apple and a small peel was stuck in the back of the throat. Frustrating and quite irritating.

Other than that I can't say I'm obsessed that I know of. I don't like sleeping alone (falling asleep that is) but I'm managing. Barely

There is one more thing though. I sometimes feel like I am about to get hit. You know, a big fist just about to hit me smack in the face, or atleast how my head would feel just after it had been hit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information