Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cost of Living .....

The cost of Living .....

Is anyone notising how expensive everything is ?
    My milkman left his bill this moring and it says 58p a pint of milk ,
    so Im gonna cancel it and buy from tesco or iceland.

Re: The cost of Living .....

got to agree, it is the sign of the times world wide...cost of living is way up..even petrol here has hit the 2 dollar a litre mark...time to start riding horses to work

Absolutely!!!! I have been thinking this for the last few weeks when everything seems to have gone up!! For example, a month or so ago, I used to get two boxes of Quaker Porridge sachets for £2 - two for one offer. Now they are two for £3 (50% increase) or worse still I've seen one box for £1.88 or more. Please don't think I am going to ramble on about porridge......the point is the shops have definitely increased their prices on everything. I'd say it varies from a few pence to an amount considerably higher than inflation. Then of course there are gas and electric hikes and petrol.

I am not housebound and can get out, although not every day. BUT counting the pennies by shopping around needs a lot more planning in terms of shops I can go to, when I can go to them and how I get to them.
    Last edited by jesse08; 28-05-08 at 08:43. Reason: font size

...i can't afford to do anything :(
    My electricity has gone up from £12 a month (3 years ago) to £47 a month. I am using NO more than i was before, in fact now, i have energy saving blubs everywhere. I'm not using as much gas either and we've had a shower fitted but each of our utilities has raised by at least £30 a month.
    My food bill has gone up between £25 - £40 a week...its flipping stupid. I am getting so angry with all these increases. How the heck do they think the lower earning families can possibly cope and because of me being agoraphobic i can't contribute as much as i would like to.

Arghhhh!!!

Panic attacks started in 1992. 1998 i became agoraphobic which lead into being room bound. Couldn't even get upstairs. 2002 i started getting better, able to drive and work. 2005 i became house bound again. 2009 i have been making SLOW progress, still not able to go anywhere alone, but my journeys are getting longer. No where near 'normal' but at least i can go out.

Yes things are most definately going up. My example is, we have an excellent Meat Packers just up the road from us...the meat is absolutely lovely, no preservatives nothing!! They do boxes of beef burgers, which my kids love...24 in a box price last year was £4.80....my boyfriend brought some the weekend before last when we had a bbq and they had gone up to £9.84 for gods sake.

Is it everything in general going up (sorry I dont follow the news much) or are things going up because fuel is, hence its costing companies more to deliver their products to shops etc??

Kaz

You've made a good point there, Kaz, prices are bound to go up at the shops due to the fuel costs rising.

Kate

I think you def pay more for everything in uk, i came to live in germany last summer so ive missed most of the price hikes that have happened since, but i read the english papers online and its seems a really bad situation. My older daughter and her hubby live in uk and shes really starting to struggle, but the wages aren't any more are they? i think the petrol and diesel here are only slightly less but house prices/rents are much less, as are the food, clothes and utility bills.

Also my younger daughter goes to university in uk and her student loan works out to about 60 quid a week, thats for rent, food, books etc. Thats the max loan too, and is the same amount as they were giving out 10 years ago. But cost of living has more than doubled since then. Needless to say, any money i save by living here is used by sending it over to her! Bless her

Cathy xxx

cathy you sound a really nice mum .

I think prices have risen because Petrol/Diesel prices are up and
    the world is dipping into a credit crunch. Alot of goods are flown in from other countries. Yet wages and benifits are not covering the price increases at all.

I got my gas and electric bill last week and I am in Debit - which was a shock cos usually after the winter I am in credit. Our council tax bills are a stupid price £1181.60 for a 3 bedroom house .

The price of Bread is also shocking £1.29 a loaf .

If any of you guys have found ways to cut back , please share them

well....now im gonna whinge...lol

i live on the isle of skye.....theres only 2 supermarkets on the island, both are the co-op, they seem to charge whatever they like for food, when i lived in the midlands i spent £70.00 a week on food...now i can double that. its a scandal.

also we have oil for our heating, last year it was 17p a litre...now its 80p a litre......

told you i was going to whinge...lol.....

...dawny

I'm living in Dublin and the cost of living over here is a joke,it's soo expensive.

Keep your heart open to dreams,
    For as long as there's a dream,
    There is hope,
    And as long as there's hope,
    There is joy in living.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information