Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does anyone here have a fear of travelling

Lightbulb does anyone here have a fear of travelling

i have a fear of travelling it takes alot for me to get to wales to see my parents which is 2 and a half hours from here. i would like to go somewhere else for a holiday but am scared of being too far from home. and i have a feeling of being trapped when i get on a motorway has anyone here conquered the travelling thing and if so could you give me any advice. i feel like i am ruining my husband and kids lives by not being able to travel xxx

Re: does anyone here have a fear of travelling

Hi charmain24

A quick an easy way to do it is to carry some Diazepam. You don't even have to take any. Just knowing that you have them handy is enough to give you the confidence to travel. And if you did panic, the Diazepam are there to kill the panic. I know it's a crutch, but if it gets you out, then all the better.

Tom

Hi, your thread could have been me writing it!!!! Please feel free to read any or all of my previous threads & you will see that I DO no exactly how you feel!!!! I don't like to be too far away from home either and I am not good on the motorway for the exact same reasons as you. I also hate flying as I do not like feeling trapped on an airoplane.

Do I have any tips???? Just keep on doing it no matter how hard it is. Take lots of things to keep your mind occupied, practise your deep breathing before you go so you can do it while travelling, and keep talking to yourself with lots of kind words & lots of encouragement & praise, just as you would do for any friend or family.

We are going on the motorway for 3hrs in 4 wks to travel to our destination for a wks holiday. I just keep on doing it even though I struggle, because I know that if I stop, I will never do it again.

We were going to go on a long haul flight again this year, I have done that 3x since I have been like this, but this year I really just did not want to face it. So we are booked for next year & I feel so much better that I have over a year to get myself on that plane.

Just remember you are not alone, so next time you are travelling on the motorway, remember that & that might help ease the anxiety a little.

Please feel free to PM me anytime.

thanks for your advice guys its much appreciated. i do try my best to travel wales is all country side so i feel anxious but i know i can turn around if it got too much my husband wants to go to devon which is a 4 hour drive and i would love to go but i know i would get in a right state just booking it. i think you are very brave panicdiva getting on a plane i would love to do that but i know i just ay got it in me to do it. xxxx

I believe that we all have it in us ....... just that more often than not we can't find the strength, but when we do, it is a great feeling of achievement. Have you tried EFT, I have found this to be very helpful ...

Im glad i came across your post because i cant travel either. I get totally freaked out if im too far away from my house, my "safe place". I met my boyfriend online nearly a year ago and he only lives an hour away from me but i hardly ever go to his place. I have just found out now that all his family are telling him to finish with me because they fear im holding him back what with me not being able to go anywhere. This got me so upset as i dont want to be like this. I used to absolutely love travelling and would often go and visit my sister 12 hours away in Scotland. What do you feel like when you travel? My chest gets tight and i find it so hard to breath. The strange thing is though, i feel a lot better in the back of a car than i do in the front but ive no idea why

Mabelina xx

Its a hard one but what i found helped me is to do the journey in stages, i go on google maps and work out every stage of the journey, it helps me get there and back, also i learnt how to admire each stage, so say you're in wales admire each place you go through, i found by doing this each time, the fear of travelling has begun to leave me again and has been replaced by a sense of excitement, i had to do a four hour journey back in feb to see my sons passing out parade in the army, the pressure i felt was unbelievable, but do you know the thought of doing the journey is always worse than actually doing it.

di xx

Charmaine, I feel exactly the same as you. I used to love travelling, but don't like it any more. The last time I flew was to Kefalonia 2 years ago and it was brilliant. I really want to go to Greece in August for a week, but am scared to go. I need to pluck up the courage. Home is my safe place. When I'm away from home, I worry I might have a panic attack and then want to get home. I've had this for years and hate it. I get the trapped feeling too.

Nicki
    xx

Charmaine, I feel exactly the same as you. I used to love travelling, but don't like it any more. The last time I flew was to Kefalonia 2 years ago and it was brilliant. I really want to go to Greece in August for a week, but am scared to go. I need to pluck up the courage. Home is my safe place. When I'm away from home, I worry I might have a panic attack and then want to get home. I've had this for years and hate it. I get the trapped feeling too.

Nicki
    xx

Hi all, I dont like travelling either but more as im a control freak, I can go any distance driving if its me doing the driving, hate hubby driving and scared of a coach in case the driver isnt careful enough etc. I am petrified of flying but ive just come back from Tunisia which is a 3 hour flight and im so proud of myself, I cant do it without alcohol though but hey if thats what helps then fine. I refused to go anywhere other than the channel islands to see family for years as I was so scared, it was only a 45 min flight there and I was still scared to death. It got to the stage where the kids were begging me to go abroad and hubby has always wanted to travel, at the end of the day my reasons for not flying was because I felt protective of my kids, they now are teens and can say that they are prepared to take the risk so how can I stop them? I also felt I was holding hubby back, I cant let him live his life not doing something he wants to do, what if he got to 80 and never went anywhere cus of me? thats not right..
    I started off last year going away with friends, to make me braver and it did work to a degree, I was still scared sh it less but had to try and make an effort, we went on a 2 and a bit hr flight to portugal, this yr we did 3 hours, im hoping in the next few years to manage long haul lol.

I do understand but please dont anyone let anyone else suffer for life due to your own fears, easier said than done I know x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information