Thread: New person who panics a lot

New person who panics a lot

My name is Rachel.I am 36 years old .I am married with two sons, work full time and live in Reading.My job is very stressful and i seem to feel over whealmed quite quickly. My panic attacks started in the past year but it is only recently that i have started getting chest pain.The attacks are generally linked with work .I know i need to find ways to overcome my attacks.I also worry that my colleagues will start to think that i am a right fruitcase especially those that dont seem to be aware of how scared they make you feel.My GP has started me on Sertraline and signed me off from work as i feel so bad but i know not working is not the answer. :(

Hiya Rachel,

I only found this forum about 3 months ago and it is great and you get alot of support and good advise. I was also signed off work for 3 weeks and then decided to go back, you are right you don't want to end up not working but the 3 weeks I had off made a huge difference beacuse it took some stress off me ( i also have 2 sons and work full time)

You are not a real fruitcake but I know how you feel as I don't tell alot of people about my 'problems' at the end of the day if you don't feel comfortable telling people - then don't it is none of their business!!!

Good Lucky Rachel and I'm sure you will get alot of good advise from others on this forum (have a look around re relaxation etc it is all in here)

Lucky

Hi Rachel,

Having a limited time off work is a good thing , it gives you time to figure out what is going on with you, where your stresses really lie and how you're going to improve your situation going forward.

If you're exhausted, it gives the body time to start a healing process which can only be done when you're at rest.

Using a SSRI can give you a great break and make you feel much better but doesn't change anything in your life. If you go back to doing the same things in the same ways then when you come off your Sertraline you're likely to find the same issues and results in time are still there.

A panic attack is a pressure cooker response to pent up emotions and fears that have not been diffused in time.

Mine came when I was working 15 hrs day on an unfamiliar high profile project. I'd also had bereavements recently. You'll be suprised how many of your colleagues will come and speak to you 'privately' if you decide to tell them .

My boss aked me what I wanted her to tell my teams when I came back. I told them the truth - after the events- and have never had any back chat but all working environments are different and you are quite within your rights to not say anything unless you want to.

Keep in touch here , have a good hunt around- use the search facility at the top- and do post if you have any queries/progress to report.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi Rachel

When I was at my worst I took 1 month of work and then went back part time for 2 weeks. It was very hard but I coped.

I got them to bring me some work to do at home so I never really lost touch and it gave me a reason to get up and I felt as though I was still contributing to the company.

That was over 6 years ago and nowadays I still have the odd day off work or just a few hours when I feel bad.

Talking to people on here and in the chat room, a lot say that it is hard to go back when you have a lot of time off so use it wisely.

Take some time to relax but do not use it as a holiday. Try to do something positive each day - however small it is - so you keep yourself occupied and feel that you are achieving something. I don't mean run around here there and everywhere but do try to get some time to chill out and some time to get some "therapy".

Good luck

Nicola

Many thanks for your support.The last couple of days have felt strange.Maybe its the medication.My head feels like it is full of cotten wool.I know that my job is the problem.The only solution would be to leave.It feels like i am on the verge of divorce.My job is like the person i once loved but because it has treated me badly i now cant bear to be with it but it isnt easy leaving after 18 years. I am glad i found this website bit like a counselling session really.

Hi again Rachel

It could be the drugs - most take a few weeks to settle down completely - give them some time to work.

18 years is a long time in the same job - perhaps after a few weeks off you will be more positive. Don't make any rash decisions just yet ok?

Nicola

Hi

I was signed off work for two weeks and then got another week extension cause I didnt feel ready to go back. I spent the first week terrified I would lose my job and that everyone at work would talk about me etc etc, I got worse panic than ever.

In the end my mum (I'm 26!) rang my boss and explained everything. He couldn't have been nicer and said 'we do need her back, but not till she's well'. After that i relaxed a lot more and really had a rest in my time off. I do not work in a 'caring' environment at all, in fact it's quite a brash environment but I was surprised by how much everyone understood. And those that don't, well who cares!

Emily

Rachel
    You and me both love, I know it's been tough for you your job (I know who you are) is so stresfull, and you like so many others out there are trying to work to the best of your ability with no resources. I do hope you will take a step back and try to use this time to see if you can take stock in some way what about your hrs any chance of going down at all, being skint is better than being ill. I have been on seroxat but am alot better i took some time out and work were ok about it, i am trying now to come off slowly, panic attacks are horrid but you will get better, keep in touch
    Love Ruth xxxxxxxxx

Thread Information