Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cipralex - Is it for me?

Cipralex - Is it for me?

Hi, thank you to everyone for being so welcoming. I have honestly learnt more in one day of using this forum than in the whole 6 years i've had anxiety!

I appreciate there are a lot of posts going around about Cipralex but these are generally about people who are already on it. I am considering trying it, I am usually sceptical about drugs of this kind but after a couple of personal recommendations from people on this site I am very seriously considering it. Is there anybody else out there who has experience of it that could help me decide?

This is one of the newer and therefore more refined SSRI meds.

It can take a few weeks to kick in and can make your symptoms temporarily worse in the 'bedding in' time.

Medications mask symptoms not cure or even address the underlying issues so unless you do some self development whilst on it you may find yourself a bit older still with your same issues.

Meds can give you a well needed break. They show you that the symptoms can dissipate and they give you well needed respite for those who are desperate and not coping with being acute.
    If your issues are from something transient like a bereavement or a specific stressor they can indeed keep the symptoms away whilst you work through the issues or until enough time has passed that its no longer a problem in the same magnitude when you finish the meds.

If you're fairly chronically anxious or panicky, CBT is the gold standard treatment of choice in conjunction with meds.

Equally, many people do not take meds any meds and recover.

Your choice - we won't judge but help you on whichever path you choose

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Cipralex is the only med I've been on so I can't compare it to any others. However, I do know that it worked wonders for me. I was a mess when I first started taking it - I wouldn't even leave the house. I was on it for 13 months and I felt myself improving the whole time.
    But, as Meg said, meds aren't for everyone. It really does need to be your decision..

Sarah

By the way, if you have any questions about Cipralex, feel free to ask..

Hi there, Just thought I would offer my experience. Not to sway you any way just inform you.....
    I have been on cipralex for 3 1/2 weeks now. (10mg now but started on 5mg) I was in quite a state before I started them. Unable to function really eg not able to be alone, go outside etc (Panic at its worst)
    I started on 5mg and upped the dose too soon to 10mg (after 2 days) My doc had recommended to keep to 5mg for a week. (a friend GP told me to up sooner[8)] )
    I did have very heightened panic for the first week[Ugh] - With the help of Nic and Sarah from this site I got through it (They are amazing at re-assuring you and keeping you focussed)[Yeah!]
    Now 3 1/2 weeks later I can see a slow steady improvement. I do have the odd day were I feel a major re-lapse has happened but Sarah and Nic pick me up again.
    Definitely there has been an overall improvement and the side-effects have practically dis-appeared.
    As previosly mentioned though they are not a cure for PA's but help you deal with your recovery - I can't rate CBT high enough. That coupled with Claire Weekes' books, this site and a will to recover and you will get there.
    Whether the Meds will work for you is between you and your GP.
    Whatever you choose I wish you well and offer you my support.
    Love Dawn x [8D]

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm going to try changing my diet and exercising more and if that doesnt helop my symptoms i'll look at cipralex then

The lifestyle changes are commendable but don't discount the power of CBT alone.

The NHS do it - postcode lottery for waiting times though, private therapists, intensive self help or a group telephone course for £10 from www.nopanic.co.uk

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi Meg, thanks for your post. I was about to ask you about CBT, what it involves and how I would get it etc. When I was first diagnosed with anxiety (6 months ago) they referred me to a clinic and I hadnt heard anything since. I chased it this Tuesday and they said it was rejected straight away, they hadnt told me or chased it up, great! Do I just need to speak to my GP and get him to refer me for CBT?

Yes. All comunity mental health trusts have it as its the gold standard but waiting lists can be very long and you are triaged according to urgency, so if you're coping reasonably and its in short supply you may be better off getting on the list but also getting on the No Panic phone course and doing some serious self help.

Meg

Cheers Meg, I'll speak to my GP again, I dont think my case will be a high priority though as I can handle general day to day life really so I will try the No Panic self help option in the meantime. Thanks again

Hi ,

I've just been reviewing your intro message and you sound really too well for the No Panic phone one which deals mainly for people struggling with agoraphobia and panic disorder.

I suggest you try the diet firstly and then review and maybe manage to find a therapist for just a couple of sessions to address your individual issues privately ?

Meg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information