Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie, feel myself heading down a scary path....

Newbie, feel myself heading down a scary path....

Hi....I've not spoken to a professional about my recent concerns yet and would just like to know if there are others who feel the same way in a safe place such as this forum. I had my first full blown panic attack 5 years ago (I'm 35 now, this attack came in waves for over two weeks and thankfully I have not had a similar experience since) and since then, I have systematically avoided any situation where I have had an attack before.
    My main problem is a feeling of not being able to escape - sitting down in a cinema or concert where I could not leave while the performance is on and so many people could see me get up and go terrifies me and I have cut these previously preasurable experience out of my life altogether.
    I am still working but office meetings are getting difficult because I also feel trapped, especially when my opinion is asked and the focus is on me.
    Being on a plane has become unbearable and I am due to go on a family holiday next month - they cannot and will not accept my fear and I'm told to "get yourself together and stop making a fuss" - I had to take a valium last year before going on a plane but I could still feel the terror bubbling underneath which was a terrible feeling.
    Soory for the essay, but I haven't said this to anyone properly yet - I am scared of how I am limiting my life and the fact that all I want to do is sit at home and not speak to anyone. Can anyone relate to this experience?

Re: Newbie, feel myself heading down a scary path....

Hi

Going on a plane is always a concern and thats coz I am in it for 3-4hrs and by the time I get to my destination I am so tired from fighting the anxiety. But then most people are not great flyers but I magnify the fears, yet once I am there its ok. Concerts etc at one time I would just sit there but now if I need to get up I do, who cares what they think.

Everyone feels the spotlight on them at an office meeting but as long as you have done your "homework" or prepared for the meeting it does become easier. One way is to listen to what the others are saying and if you agree with one of them then say " I agree with the comments jack or carol made"

Right now is the time to nip the anxiety in the bud before it grows and there is the need to face the situations that do bring you anxiety and not allow them to control your life.
    It maybe be helpful to look and see what was happening in your like 5yrs ago, maybe a lot of stress at that time brought the panic attack. check out the info here on this site and start to apply it to your life. If you need to talk there are wonderful people on this site that will support you.

Hugs

kev

Hiya to nmp its lovely to have you here .
    you are not alone with these fear about plane /cinima or other place like them, these are some of the most commen fear of places to be when you are a panic sufferer.
    my hubbie has had panic attacks and anx for 7 years now and he wont go to these place for the same reasons as yours, he also has a fear of driving in case he is in a traffic jam and he has one and everyone sees as he has to do a runner from the car if it does. I do think you should talk to your doc about this and maybe get refered for some counselling and cbt theropy. keep posting and we will give you as much support/advice and reasurance as we can.

take care

kellie.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi tronny,

to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

I can really relate to what you're saying:

"I have systematically avoided any situation where I have had an attack before. My main problem is a feeling of not being able to escape.....I am scared of how I am limiting my life and the fact that all I want to do is sit at home and not speak to anyone."

I get panic & anxiety in social situations, driving and on planes. When you've had these feelings somewhere they may come flowing back as soon as you go into the situation again - therefore you try and avoid the situation. I think the best way to overcome these fears is to gradually face them. CBT works on this - although I haven't actually went for any yet I have read about it. I am slowly trying to face the fears - sometimes the worrying about them beforehand can be as bad as actually facing them!

It's great that you're working. I also think that it helps to talk about how you're feeling - keep on posting. All the best xx

hi tronny

the others comments are correct

u need to have a chat about cbt or counselling with ur gp

avoiding the situation only makes it harder to overcome. small progressive steps are best to ease u into realising that u can overcome this

there are some online cbt course available at livinglifetothefull.co.uk and moodgym.co.uk that may help too

good luck in your journey and welcome to nmp

millyxx

Hi Tronny and

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way. I can relate to all you say and they're classic anxiety/panic attack thoughts and feelings.

Take care,

Mike

Hi Tronny,

Welcome to the Forum.

You will get loads of support and advice here.
    Best wishes,
    Chalky

welcome to forum,
    hi from ravengirl77

Hi all

Thanks so much for your advice and best wishes - I am so glad I found this site and look forward to being a part of this....thank you again

Hi there and welcome.

The plane thing I can DEFINITELY relate to. But although my anxiety is off the scale whilst flying I will NOT avoid it. My holiday is coming up in August and I'm already in a state of panic over it.

You'll find sooo many people here who will empathise with everything you feel

Take care

Siobhan x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information