Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Colonoscopy booked for 10th July

My prep for colonoscopy tomorrow

I'm in a state of terror here - one half of me wants to get this test done so I can stop worrying about my probable IBS and constant wind and pain but the other half is in dread of it all. Everyone says the prep is evil and the worst part - I am trying to do my best have got a comfy chair in bathroom plus lots of reading material and lots of sports drinks to stop my electrolytes dropping and glucose tablets to keep my blood sugar up as I can't eat for over 24 hrs.

Once I am through that ( hopefully!!!!) then I will start to panic about the proceedure - will I react badly to the sedation ( even though I have had it before and been okay) or will it not work and I will be in severe pain then what if they perforate my colon and don't know and send me home to get peritonitis.

You all know how my mind works.

I would like some kind words please as you all know what I am going through and no one else does as they don't have health anxiety. My GP actaully made a joke this morning about the prep mixture being called fleet for a reason. I laughed but resisted the urge to sob hysterically in terror

Re: My prep for colonoscopy tomorrow

aww hun, please try not worry at least having this will put your mind at rest. good luck and let us know how it goes, you really will be fine hun

Re: My prep for colonoscopy tomorrow

You will be fine. I suffer from diverticular disease and have had many bouts of diverticulitis which have meant admission to hospital and put on a drip.

I had a colonoscopy the other year I drank the liquid Yuk! didn't worry about taking anything for my electrolytes

I didn't have any sedation or pain killers yes it was uncomfortable at times but not as bad as my flare ups. It took 20 mins and afterwards I had a cup of coffee and some toast. And I was allowed home soon after.

It was no biggie so stop worrying about it.

OMG half way through my prep for colonoscopy tomorrow

All I can say is never again. The stuff to drink is disgusting even when you try and disguise it - it made me feel very sick and shivery for hours and what happens at the other end is unbelievable. My mother in law had warned me but I didn't believe her. I coulnd't go more than 5 mins without it pouring out of me for over 2 hrs, talk about sore!! I've done everything they say - lots of fluids - vaseline. I am so hungry and weak from lack of food and wo't be able to eat till after the proceedure tomorrow. I am drinking lots of sugary drinks but my blood sugar is still in my boots!

And I have got to do it again at 7pm tonight

If anyone is thinking of having this done just to ease their worries - don't

Wish me luck with next 24 hrs and pray that all goes well for me - I am not a happy bunny as you can tell.

Re: OMG half way through my prep for colonoscopy tomorrow

Oh yeah my mum has a colonoscopy ever three years, I remember the first time she had that "cleansing" drink ! my my she waited in the kitchen with me for 2 mins, I then herd her tummy gurgle and I didnt see her for the dust.

I know you feel unwell now and I understand that you are doing this to be sure you are ok, just think you wont have to worry anymore.

Make sure you drink clear fluids and try to nap, then after the colonoscopy you have a nice big meal.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    All I can say is never again. The stuff to drink is disgusting even when you try and disguise it - it made me feel very sick and shivery for hours and what happens at the other end is unbelievable. My mother in law had warned me but I didn't believe her. I coulnd't go more than 5 mins without it pouring out of me for over 2 hrs, talk about sore!! I've done everything they say - lots of fluids - vaseline. I am so hungry and weak from lack of food and wo't be able to eat till after the proceedure tomorrow. I am drinking lots of sugary drinks but my blood sugar is still in my boots!

And I have got to do it again at 7pm tonight

If anyone is thinking of having this done just to ease their worries - don't

Wish me luck with next 24 hrs and pray that all goes well for me - I am not a happy bunny as you can tell.

You'll be fine, the worse part was the taste of the 'laxative' from then on it is all down hill.

See if you can have it done without sedation I did and it was fantastic looking at my bowel on the monitor (but then I am a nurse and we love that sort of thing).

I found the whole thing quite fascinating (except the part where I left my reading glasses behind and I had to borrow someone's so I could read a magazine).

I am not going to wish you luck because there is nothing to be scared about, have a good time and if you need glasses don't forget to bring them with you.

I also had a colonocsopy last year. I have NEVER tasted anything so vile in all my life. I was nearly sick drinking it and for hours afterwards I kept shudering at the thought of having to have more of it later.
    I was also starving hungry and couldn't think of anything but food (and I'm not usually a big eater!!).
    It will be worth it though sweetie, to get the all clear afterwards is worth all the misery :-)

Good Luck x

when my mother in law said she would rather die than do the prep ever again I thought she was joking.
    Had my second dose which was everybit as bad as first one - had the two hours of sitting on the loo cos I couldn't get off again. Now I'm down to every half hour. I've got evil hunger pains that no amount of apple juice will get rid of.
    I have to say I feel so ill it frightens me - I am thinking maybe I have an imbalance of my electrolytes either too little potassium or too much sodium.
    I did a silly thing and googled low potassium and of course i have some of the symptoms like ectopic beats and racing heart and twitching muscles - I get them anyway!
    My husband says the lack of food, drinking huge amounts and the terrible toll the prep must take on the poor old body will be making me feel ill.

When I had the sigmoidoscopy I had enemas and they were worse than the procedure itself. I was on the loo for ages.

I could not understand why people would request these tests !!!

I hope I never have to have a colonoscopy but I may do in the future and believe me it is not through choice!

You will be fine - just hungry and drained from the prep.

Make sure you drink loads as it will rehydrate you.

Good luck - I am glad it isn't me as I know how bad the sigmoid was let alone this that you have to go through!

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi countrygirl, i do feel sorry for you after following these posts...it must feel awful. The crunch question is though...will you believe them if they tell you after this that you dont have cancer?

I know you say you get ectopics too, but its interesting to note that me and my fellow heart phobics seem to have many many ecgs which are relatively painless compared to what you're going through, so does this make it easier for us to dismiss the results and go back for more? makes me wonder.

Maybe if i had to go through what you are going through for this test, to put your mind at rest, and was told after it that i was ok, would it be easier for me to accept it? If you can understand what i mean. I cant imagine anybody wanting to go through this as often as they go through with an ecg!

What do others think?

Good luck with the test anyway
    Best wishes
    Cathy xxxx

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information