Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cysts

Cysts

Hi All,

I havent been on here for a long time, well to be honest, not since the new site.

Anyway a bit of advise please:

Yesterday I went to the doctor, who examined me and said I had breast cyst. She hasnt referred me, said its nothing to worry about etc etc. Said I dont even need to go back if I dont want to.

Told me if she had this, she wouldnt worry at all or do anything about it.

Now my fear is cancer especially breast. So i'm thinking how do I get into my head that she wasnt just being nice to me. How do I know, she is sure it is not anything sinister and how do I stop prodding and poking and looking on the internet. I know I'm doing it, but I cant seem to help myself.

Any similar situations would be grateful, I need help to get all; this rubbish from my head.

Thanks all
    xx

Re: Cysts

I don't think the doctor would pretend that it was a cyst just to be nice. She must be certain that it is a cyst otherwise she would have referred you onto someone else.

I know someone who had quite a few cysts over the years she is still going strong and is fit enough to play bowls a few times a week.

Hi Emma, sorry you're so worried, but i think your doc being 'nice' to you would involve an instant referrral (they're called fast-track) if she had one teeny suspicion it was cancer. No way would she send you home telling you not to worry. I know they dont always get it right, but i would think that shes felt and seen enough breast lumps to know which ones need further investigation. My aunt had these breast cysts on and off most of her life and she's 70 now!

I know its easy for me to say not to worry coz this is your anx 'thing'...mine is my heart so i know about the unconvincing diagnosis! but from someone who doesnt have this breast cancer phobia, i can maybe see the bigger picture and i know you'll be fine.

Take care
    Cathy xxx

hun ive had cysts before

i worried so much with the first that they aspirated it (not nice) to test the fluid.

i did have one suspect one where i was referred and the lump was removed under local anaethetic at the local hospital, no further problems ensued, except i got a speeding fine driving home lol.

everything will be ok hun, promise

they are very good at detecting any breast probs these days and if u didnt require a referral it isnt anything to be worried about

take care

milly xxx

Thanks all for your replies, think i'll print this out to keep me level. She did say it was common, but as Cathy said, when its your phobia, you tend to look at the negative and what ifs all the time.

Well Im back on here again today, still worried sick. Still googling the symptoms, still poking and prodding. Although still there, have noticed there a bit smaller today. Any ideas as to how I can work through accepting what the doctor said? Also does anyone know how long these cysts can stay for?

Thanks all xx

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaJane View Post
    Well Im back on here again today, still worried sick. Still googling the symptoms, still poking and prodding. Although still there, have noticed there a bit smaller today. Any ideas as to how I can work through accepting what the doctor said? Also does anyone know how long these cysts can stay for?

Thanks all xx
    Hi Emma, the cysts can last for ever, they normally go up and down during your cycle. Only in March I was referred to the breast clinic - it was a cyst and it's been left alone - I could feel one lump but after the ultra-sound, the consultant confirmed I had quite a lot there and I didn't know it! However now that lump has been confirmed I now recognise it's a cyst so don't worry.

GP's now have very strict guidelines to follow and if your GP was in anyway concerned, she would've referred you. However if you are worried then you should go back and ask for a referral and I'm NOT saying this because there is anything wrong, but sometimes is comforting to have an ultra-sound so that the cysts and nodules etc can be identified and we then know what's normal for us. I go every 2 years to get checked out now purely because I'm very lumpy in my right breast but that's just me.

Try not to worry, we all have lots of lumps and bumps

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for that. Im very lumpy to, the doctor said this yesterday, but also said I dont need to be reffered as she knows its a cyst. Due to her experience.

I still keep prodding sd trying to work out the shape etc, whether there round, smooth etc.

I'm doing my own head in, have checked about 6 times in the last half hour.

Sorry people,
    but just a thought,
    the things im doing, like keep checking, googling, finding negatives to what the doctor said. Is this all normal for anxiety??

hun ur going to make it sore by prodding

give ur surgery a ring and ask can u let the nurse have a check, to put ur mind at rest hun.

it will be ok but ur torturing urself with ur anx sweetie

i do know how that feels and u get past a point where u have to sort this to for ur peace of mind

i dont know if uve had any cbt therapy? this does help with anxious predictions

take care hun
    milly xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information