Thread: It's definitely depression

Unhappy It's definitely depression

I saw a therapist yesterday for a brief assessment to see what sort of treatment would be most useful. I filled in questionaires which determind that I have severe depression and severe anxiety, believe me I feel a lot better than I did a couple of months ago, what I am looking for is some advice, will medication speed up the healing process, she gave me lots of leaflets around my health anxiety but I know I have to beat this myself no-one can wave a magic wand. I can sort of see the light at the end of the tunnel but I am unsure of how to get there ideally the quicker the better

Re: It's definitely depression

my opinion, and experience is that meds and therapy hand in hand are the most effective way

milly xx

hi,

Yeah again I tend to agree. I had tablets alone and it didint help to much. Came off the tabs and had therapy, same reaction. Then had the 2 together, alot better. As you say though most of it is down to you, as I am now finding out again today. :-)

Good luck

Emma x

i would say dont rush your recovery, you have been ill - depression is a serious illness and takes time to get over. i am not against meds per se but i have had good and bad experiences on them and i have had alot of therapy so i couldnt conclusively say whether you should or shouldnt take them - its each to their own really - however bear in mind why so many ppl are prescribed them in the first place? - there is no way near enough money to pay for all the ppl who need cbt or other therapies - and both the psycologists ive had extensive therapy with have said they are not a long term solution - so really repeating what has already been said, except also to caution you to take your time to regain your confidence, a slow steady recovery is preferable to a rapid one that doesnt last, tc, emma

hiya i agree with above and as hard as it is with u feeling this way exercise is brilliant for improving your mood, it got rid of my dep 7 yrs ago along with meds but i eventually came off them and carried on exercising and too this day i walk miles every day makes me positive, motivated, much more energy and i lost weight too. also keeping to a routine is a definate must get up certain time every morn, dont just lie in bed cos it makes u feel worse and breakfast shower, chores wotever kind thing just to keep you busy and few weeks and u will start to perk up but alittle exercise everyday is worth it jogging on the spot indoors for half hour with a dvd or ipod. i did it curtains drawn ipod on, im surprized i was not sectioned hehe but it did work hun hugs and stay strong xxxx

Hey
    About 5 months ago I was diagnosed with severe depression, after I was told I kinda felt relieved that I wasn't going mad and that I was going to get help. Then after I got an immediate transfer to a counsiller, I pretended I was better to her because I didn't feel that I could trust her. Now I'm back where I started. Alone. So don't make the same mistake, get as much help as you can get, counsilling and medication. Counsilling is more of a way to let you talk to people and let them listen. Medication changes the way the chemicals in your brain works. xxx Good luck wb saying how your doing x

Thank you all so much for your replies, especially the ones that say don't rush your recovery, I am back at work now, but I think that is where all the problems started, my service is being re-structured so the trust where I work has an obligation to find me a job, the thing is they can offer me anything and not in the area that is convenient to me!

I am looking for other jobs and feel terrible about this, but this cloud will definitely have a silver lining, I feel as though the decision about my job has been made for me.

I liked the reply about the exercise with the curtains shut, and the comment about being sectioned! I work for a mental health trust and believe me getting is sectioned is not as easy as you think,

Once again thanks so much for the replies it is nice to know that people do come out of this illness the other side.

Take care all of you

Heather

hi heather and im glad u back at work and i hope you are feeling better and having a good day hugs to u xxx

Thread Information