Thread: need advice please,or opinions

need advice please,or opinions

I have panicked for a long time that after experiencing random bouts of an extremely fast heart rate (i dont know how fast,im always too flustered to count), that I may be suffering from ventricular tachycardia.

My cardiologist told me that tachycardia should be dealt with if it comes on very suddenly and either doesnt stop, or stops very suddenly.

When i get these episodes,and it usually happens when im trying to get to sleep, i have this uneasy feeling about me for a while before, like i cant relax or keep still. Then the outburst of fast heart rate (pounding so hard in my chest too) starts and usually I have to take a tablet (80mg propranolol) to stop it.

Another thing to add, this has happened to me 2 or 3 times, each time i was having a bad night with baby sleeping,or not sleeping should i say.
    Do you think this is anything to worry about or just a result of stress?

Char xxx

Re: need advice please,or opinions

This is what happened to me 100's of times a day for months and miraculously stopped when my anxiety went. Not sure I agree with the cardio though. I have it on good authority that anxiety related SVT is totally harmless and will stop when your anxiety does.

I really feel for you hun: I've been there. But rest assured it will go and hey! you'll get another fun symptom to deal with like I do (fear of going mad). But yeah it's definitely preferable to the heart gymnastics.

Btw, have you had any heart tests to put your mind at rest?

Siobhan x

My heart rate speeding up every so often is, thankfully (and, hopefully) the last symptom left over from my last bout of anxiety and panic.

I've noticed that everything else, including mood, gets back to normal -- but the physical symptoms of anxiety and panic seem to be the last to get rid of. This could be due to the fact that many of the symptoms are "controlled" though the sympathetic nervous system, and the body does take time to make new adjustments .

So, every so often now, I'll still get a release of adrenaline -- whether I want to or not. I don't pay any attention to it anymore, other than just notice it and get back to what I was doing.

Even if it happens at night, I just notice it and forget about it. I've even fallen off to sleep now with it happening!

Like a child (and many adults!), its looking for attention. Without it, it moves on.

hiya and thankyou both for your replies.

I have only had egg's and blood tests but the ecg's never catch anything as they are for such a short time arnt they.

my cardiologist said that my heart sounded/ecg's looked perfect - te best he'd seen in ages and he was so confident that a 24 hour holter wouldnt catch anything he thought itd be a waste of time.

I have noticed that this particular symptom has occurred when im very tired/stressed,i am hoping that that is it, i got rid of this heart based anxiety when i had seen the cardiologist, i have no idea what started it again,im just trying to work thru it.

thanks again
    cassi xxx

Thread Information