Thread: Thyroid or something else?

Thyroid or something else?

Hi all

I am whittling myself into a frenzy. The past month I have dropped loads of weight (well let me explain - the scales say the same but my clothes are dropping off me) and feel rediculously tired. My heart thumps in my chest whenever I walk anywhere and I get out of breath. My muscles ache, my hair and skin are gross (dry byt greasy at the same time if you can umagine that? - I put this down to the progesterone pill).

I am windering whether this is just an effect of my progesterone only pill (I was like this the last time i took it) or whether my thyroid is hyeractive (or whether the pill cna have an affect on your thyroid). Or is it something else? Yesterday I noticed my shoulders have gotten very boney, like they have no meat on them any more. I feel like I'm wasting away. I am not eating less than normal. I fact the past couple of days I have been ravenous.

About 3/4 months ago I had a FBC and a thyroid check which were both said to be normal. But I did hear that the pill can mask thyroid problems in blood tests.

I am very anxious but it feels an on edge anxious as opposed to my normal anxiousness. I am going out of my mind with worry about it.

Re: Thyroid or something else?

If i were you i would go back to the doctor and ask for another blood test to check your thyroid, the symptoms you are describing are very similiar to the ones i had when my thyroid was over active.
    I am not sure about the pill masking thyroid problems but it would be better to get checked out anyway, at least you will know what is going on.
    Take care
    Helen

How long did it take for your symptoms to come on? Mine seem to have come on in a short space of time which is quite worrying. I am so tired it is incredible. But I can't understand why the scales say the same but it is obvious I am getting thinner. That worried me I have a tumour or something that is growing whils I am thinning out. Agghhhh. It's driving me mad.

Hi,

I have an underactive thyroid gland and oddly lost weight too. I was so tired I always felt and still feel like I have the flu. Very dry skin and thinning hair... well the list could go on and on. Sometimes I turn and I go overactive and that is when my heart pounds and races then they adjust my medication. I must state that I have never been on the pill as it caused migraines for me. If I were you I would go back to your doctor and tell them your symptoms. You might also suggest what you have heard about the pill changing the test results. Good luck and I hope all goes well and that you feel better soon.

Laura xxx

Thread Information