Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of death

Fear of death

I am not sure about the name for this phobia but one thing between many others that I fear is Death.
    I might be off my rock or go insane....I dunno.
    Has any one had the same fear?
    Please reply.
    Florence.

Hi Florence,

Dont worry I have the exact same fear as you, I also fear death. I dont know if there is a proper clinical name for it, but Im sure there are more people than you and I that suffer this. I have suffered this for 3 years and I feel at times that I am mad for worrying about dying but I just cant seem to stop these thoughts coming into my head.

I have spoken to the doctors about this and they asked me If I have had any thoughts of killing myself...!!! They just weren't listening to me, I remeber saying.. I am frightened of death not wishing it.

My panic attacks began after I was in quite a serious car accident, and I remember my 1st one like it was yesterday. I was playing cards with my husband whilst watching t.v and my heart just started to pound and then I would have terrible chest pains, my whole body shaked, my head was swarming, I had to go to the loo every 5 minutes, I felt sick, frightened and desperate. I was terrified to go to sleep in case I wouldn't wake up again, in fact I was terrified to be alone. However I just kept on with my daily routine trying to keep everything together as I was ashamed of how I felt.

I never ever thought that I would survive all these symptoms and thought that my heart would quit at any time ot that I would have a stroke because of the stress I am under. I do sometimes still worry that these things will happen but not to the same affect.

I dont know if these fears will ever truly go but I think they do become less severe, when you actually understand what is causing your body to react in a certain way and when you believe that the symptoms are just caused by anxiety.

Let me know how you are and what worries you and I along with everyone else will do my best to help...i do understand!

sadie

Hi Sadie, thanks so much for your understanding and support. It helps me in a way by knowing that I am not the only one.
    I've got some sleeping pills at the moment and really hope they will ease my nights.But I keep asking myself why am I so scared and what triggered my fears? I do not know.
    Florence.xxx

Florence,

This i think is what make me so anxious. I have a huge fear of death (and how i am going to die). I fear i am going to be allergic to loads of stuff and die!!
    Getting there though Florence - starting to feel better

Love
    Lucky

There is no doubt that a panic attack feels like you are dying, and I think that only those who have had one can understand what it's like. I started telling my mates about panic attacks, and now they all joke about having them, espescially when they're hungover, but I don't think they really get it. I also find sadie's remark about being ashamed to be very true - a hero dies but once, a coward dies a thousand times - as Shakespeare said. (But if he's so clever, then why is he dead? as Homer Simpson once said.)
    Everyone's frightened of death (I could be really contentious here and state "espescially religious people". Maybe that's one way of dealing with it.)A healthy fear of death helps keep us alive. The fact that we all die gives meaning and direction to the life that goes before it. It's dealing with the fear that's difficult.

Jim

quote:Originally posted by uryjm

There is no doubt that a panic attack feels like you are dying, and I think that only those who have had one can understand what it's like. I started telling my mates about panic attacks, and now they all joke about having them, espescially when they're hungover, but I don't think they really get it. I also find sadie's remark about being ashamed to be very true - a hero dies but once, a coward dies a thousand times - as Shakespeare said. (But if he's so clever, then why is he dead? as Homer Simpson once said.)
    Everyone's frightened of death (I could be really contentious here and state "espescially religious people". Maybe that's one way of dealing with it.)A healthy fear of death helps keep us alive. The fact that we all die gives meaning and direction to the life that goes before it. It's dealing with the fear that's difficult.

Jim

chrissie

Hi my names Chrissie I am new here..

I think most of us have this fear, as jim said in the midst of Panic we "Feel" like we are dying so its no wonder we fear it so - when we have a little taste of Dying each time we Panic.

Jim your words at the end of your reply really stood out...

"Dealing with the "FEAR" thats what is so difficult" -

This is what we all want to avoid at all Costs "Fear" and feeling it is that little taste of death - over and over again, who would want to feel that.

Chrissie xox

chrissie

Hi every one i no exactly wot ur goin through i cant stop thinkin bout it.
    Do ne of u believe in God? I think my fear started wen my nan died coz i didnt c her dat often n i kept thinkin dat i wuld lose the rest of my family. Wen i woz upset ova my nan i felt this sense of peace cum ova me as though God woz wiv me tellin me evrything woz ok... every nite i started preying 2 him askin Him 2 protect my family, but recently ive been findin it hard n i cant shake off my thoughts of deaths. If i lost my family i wuldnt b able 2 cope it wuld destroy me, ppl say that no parent shuld have 2 bury their child but shuld ne child hav2 bury their parent?
    I still cant shake these feelings off n everytime i go sumwhere im constantly preparing myself for an attack or sum,thin makin sure ill b able 2 run after dem.
    Im not sleepin 2 well at nite which isnt helpin, thought bout endin it wen ive bin low but i culdnt do thast to my family coz it wuld destroy their lives
    if ne 1 feels d same plz reply or email me
    Sam

Samantha,

Have you spoken to your doctor or anyone about how you are feeling ?
    I know I panick at the thought of panicking which can make matters worse!!

Take care
    Love
    Lucky

hi thanks lucky
    I dont want 2 c my doc though coz i dont like them n i dont want ne 1 2 find out
    Sam

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information