Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of death

Sam if you spoke to your doctor no-one would be told about it as its confidential. Otherwise why dont you try phoning one of the helplines for a chat when you are down - Meg/ Nic you must know some???

Emily

Sam

You could join "No Panic" as they do a telephone recovery group that may help you. Look for the link on my "links" page on the main web site. They charge £10 per year. They can also provide details of any support groups in your area and you get a contact list so you can call people off that too.

May be worth a try - I have been a member for over 7 years now.

Nicola

I know the fear of death but is what I feel a phobia?? I'm somehow convinced that death is kind of "catching" like mass hysteria or something. I've recently had to spend time in the cardiac high dependency ward with my Dad and was in constant fear of anyone having an arrest while I was there. I feel like if I was with someone when they died, that the shock and trauma of it would somehow make me die!!?? How do you un-convince yourself that this will happen??? It's really getting to me and I'm filled with feelings of DREAD!

prettyface110

Hi,

Something started this off idea and if you can identify it , it becomes easier as rationality kicks in.

Meanwhile, write down your thoughts in long hand , leave it a while , then go back to it and re read it.
    Contemplate what you've written , get yourself a pen and cross out all the bits that are really irrational and you know to be untrue - ie death is catching and write in something true instead .

Then reread that until you are happy with it, write it all out again and then keep that piece of paper with you at all times and whenever you're worrying, get it out and read it again and again.

Eventually you will change your thought pattern.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

thanks nic, em, ill giv it go
    Sam

Good idea Radar

I think I will try that too when i start to feel that I'm going to die of a heart attack....etc

sadie

My fear of death is strange it seem to be where all my anxiety stems from.

Not just being scared of dying but being preoccupied by how I might die (posted re theory b4) and to top it off someone has just told me another foodstuff that can cause anaphalaxic shock (oh dear!)

That is it I just fear analphalaxic shock and think everything will give me it!! (|I think it has something to do with the throat tightening at the 'beginning' of my bad anxiety.

I am trying not to avoid things but what i would like is not to have these 'daft thought in the first place

Love
    lucky

hi lucky,

glad your head colds better!

as you know,recovering from anxiety,is a long hard road,and your doing so well,but you will recover quicker,if you surround yourself,with positive people,and discard negative people,such as whoever told you of another food to avoid.

keep thinking good thoughts my friend...best wishes..bryan.

Hi Lucky

I too worry about that..although mine seems to be predominantly about dying of a heart attack, brain hamerrage or a stroke. I can sometimes actually see myself falling to the ground in pain dying...morbid and weird I know but it just seems to happen.

I dont think I have these thoughts to the same degree as I did when my panic attacks first started to happen, but I did stop doing certain things which I thought would bring on one of these things to actually happen.

Its not good to do this as it just makes the problem a whole lot worse and will give yourself more things to deal with in the end. Dont stop yourself eating anything in the fear of an analphalaxic shock, the likelihood of that happening is very minute.

If it would make you feel any better you could get a food intolerance test, just to put your mind at ease. Although i really dont think you need one.

Take care

sadie

I don't have a fear of death, but I have an over riding curiosity to know how many people would turn up at my funeral, what they would say, and how many would miss me!

Lucky - have you got any basis for your nut phobia? Or is it just one of those things that develop.

Charlie

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information