Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physical v Mental

Physical v Mental

Im on a down day i know i am, i have been feeling worse all week and today im alone again and anxious.

Im just venting my thoughts really and none of what i type is meant to offend.

I have just been thinking while sitting in the garden, if there was something physically wrong with me, poeple would rush around taking care of me, helping me where ever possible, i would feel safe and cared for, wrapped up and cocooned.
    But as i have GAD/depression and it is a mental condition, yes, people are sympathetic but when it comes down to it, they support you while they can but then leave you to get on with it with statements such as 'Dont let this thing beat you, you are stronger than this' and 'keep pushing pushing face up to this anxiety'! They wouldnt be saying that if i had a broken leg or had a physical disability instead of a mental one!

I feel like i need looking after, i feel i need people to accept im ill and help me when i tell them i need it, and make me feel safe and cared for... and they have in he past, but now it seems like enoughs enough, get on with it now, you've got to fight this thing yourself!!!! No wonder i end up wishing i was physically ill instead!

This is such a lonely condition, and one that saps all the strength you did have to get better..... theres no 'oh yes Ms Brown, a bone takes around 6 weeks to mend itself then you'll be as right as rain'...... no, my psychiatrist says i can give you no answers, i cant tell you, its like how long is a peice of string, but i can say that 6 months with your condition and that of all the patients i see is like a drop in the ocean!!! Bl*ody marvellous!!!!

...baby steps everyday.

Re: Physical v Mental

Totally agree with you sweetheart, its a pain in the ar*e isn't it?
    I get so frustrated, if we had broken legs people wouldn't dream of saying get on with it.

I also feel that some people think I am putting it on, but jaysus I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy.

I think that is you and me totally vented for today popsy.

Take care hun

Debbie

XXXXXXXXXX

Hi Popsy

What a great post and so totally true

Quote Originally Posted by popsy View Post

I feel like i need looking after, i feel i need people to accept im ill and help me when i tell them i need it, and make me feel safe and cared for...

There should be separate meetings between health care professionals and immediate family members. This could be a short meeting, but it should be mandatory. I think family members would be more supportive if they heard directly from the doctor what was needed on their part to help with recovery.

I know this is a long shot Charlie . . . but have you tried giving any family members a book to read, perhaps? To be honest, any "outsiders" are really clueless . . . *totally* clueless.

Hi Charlie

I agree with everyone else. Your post probably sums up one of the reasons
    why I haven't told anyone about my anxiety.

Noone giving advice when they don't know what its like, or telling me to snap out of it, or thinking i'm attention seeking. It is lonely and tiring.

Take care Anna

Great post hun and totally true

mandie xx

what a really good post. You are so right.

Emma

pops ur so right hun

sometimes, when i was working, id think if i was in a car crash ppl would come to see me, ring check i was ok.

ive been off 3 months, 3 phone calls from another teacher. ive phoned each sick note and let them know for cover.

i know im ill, but i feel that others take mental illness as weakness.

i hope one day that the world wakes up and sees us as we see each other here.

milly xx

hiya
    i totally agree with this post it's like were just left to get on with it!
    i got told by my cbt not to rely on others cuz we will start to need them to much!
    but from my point of view i can only go out when i have some1 with me so how is having no1 there gunna make me better i woudnt leave the house if this was the case!
    the biggest thing is that people don't understand!and most people wont take the time to understand!

When we feel like this, a good place to start looking for local support is to look up your local MIND group because they often offer services that can help us. They also often have links to other organisations.

I've been looking at your area Charlie and I've found a few links that may help you. I'll pm them to you.

Do you go out or are you able to get out? Often when we're stuck indoors, it allows us to "think" too much and those thoughts then trigger symptoms and those symptoms then trigger more thoughts in a neverending cycle leaving us feeling totally depressed and even more alone.

I know when people are agoraphobic it feels impossible to get out but if we feel able, a change of scenery can work wonders for our mood, especially if we're also able to find an interest or hobby where we can mix with others.

We only feel ill because our minds often have too much time to focus on worrying thoughts and the symptoms they produce. Our minds are very active and boredom can be our worst enemy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information