Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zopiclone...anyone come off successfully?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Zopiclone...anyone come off successfully?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for someone who has taken zopiclone, and were able to wean themselves off. I have been taking it for 3 months now...I was initially prescribed it when I was in an acute anxiety state because I was barely sleeping 2 hours a night. I am now also on citalopram, which is helping. I sleep about 4-5 hours after taking the zopiclone, then wake up, but I am able to get back to sleep after about 10 minutes or so. After that I usually sleep 2 hours, then wake up again, then back to sleep etc etc. I am off work at the minute, so I am thinking that this would be a good time to try to do the weaning. My psychiatrist said that the fact that I don't sleep well after the zopiclone wears off may be a sign that I still need it. But I don't feel panicky when I wake up, it just feels like a weird rhythm by body has gotten into, and maybe if I stop taking the zopiclone it may learn how to sleep normally again???? I am also scared about trying to wean myself off, because I tried halving the tablets for 3 nights, but barely slept 2 hours, and almost sent myslef off the edge from the anxiety (but I was also way more anxious then than I am now). Anyone have any experience/input on this matter? I want to stop taking it, but I also have only recently been feeling relatively "normal" so I don't want to risk a relapse. Arrgggg, so frustrating!

Lisa

Try full dose one night and half the next and see how you do for a week. On your half night make an extra effort with lavender bath , relaxation etc .

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi Lisa

I took zopiclone for about 8 months and became addicted....I tried to wean but was too difficult, so i decided to stop it suddenly, which gave me horrid withdrawal effects.
    The best thing for me was to take diazepam instead with equivalent dosage (6 mg when i started) , and now I am on 2 mg, so I guess I am doing well so far.
    If you need any advice about tranquilizers and sleeping pills and informations about weaning off, then try this website , it has helped me a lot. www.benzo.org.uk
    Zopiclone is not a benzodiazepine but works in a very similar way, by enhancing the actions of the neurotransmitter GABA .
    I wish you all the best.

Florence.

**See the world more as it is, less as what you are.**

Hi Lisa

Was prescibed it but only tried it once so cant really help on this one. Know it is addictive so suggest you reduce it very slowly and take your time hun. And take advice from people who have being there.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Hi Lisa/ Everyone

I am a new member this is my first post. I have been suffering chronic depression and anxiety for a long time and saw a new psychiatrist today who thinks my main problem is dependancy on Zopiclone. I have been taking 15mg nightly for six months. 7.5 before bed and then another 7.5 when I wake up in the middle of the night. I wake up in the middle of the night every single night as I seem to be desperate for more another tablet. I seem to wake myself subcontiously. Not going back to sleep is not an option for me as Im so depressed and panic striken the moment I wake.

So I put "zopiclone withdrawl" in my search engine and it led me here. I dont know how the hell I am going to get off this stuff because it gives me the only relaxation I can get but also makes me quite high sometimes and taking it is the only thing I have to look forward too. I cant substitute it with Diazepan, I suggested that but my psychiatrist said not a good idea.

Its a real catch 22 situation as my psychiatrist thinks the after effects of Zopiclone is why Im so lethargic during the day. Lisa - let me know how you get on as its good to share expereinces I guess and if anyone out there can help me Im pretty desperate to get off this stuff if it will help me get my life back.

Cheers, Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for writing, maybe it'll be good to have a "partner" in this-are you game???
    When I was at my worst, I was up to 2.5 tabs a night, same pattern as you. I was able to cut out the 2nd dose fairly easily...but first I needed to calm down during the night. The doctor had put me on Celexa (citalopram), which I take before bed, and I soon found that I would still wake up once the first pill had worn off, but that I was calm enough to get back to sleep. DOn't know if you are already on an SSRI, or open to it, but Celexa is very good for sleep....has helped me tremendously in this aspect.
    Talked to my psychiatrist yesterday, and he recommends a gentle tapering. Take 1/8 of the pill away for a few days, then 1/4 for a few days etc etc. Drinking warm milk and eating a banana before bed naturally raises your seratonin levels and will help sleep. I also have started taking valerian root which is supposed to help with the withdrawl, and hopefully will help my sleep pattern. Don't know if its safe to mix with 2 X 7.5 mg zopiclone, so you might want to check it out.
    I'm starting my "regimen" tomorrow evening, as we have my partner's two little neices over for a sleepover this weekend...so I think I'll be frazzled enough without starting this quite yet!
    Joe, let me know how you are doing with this....if you are interested in working through this together, let me know. I know it won't be easy, but I also know that once we have rid our dependence on it we will feel soooo much better! Take care,

Lisa

PS. Figured out that I am waking up in the middle of the night because my body needs nicotine (I'm a pretty heavy smoker and would smoke whenever I woke up)....so if anyone else is a smoker, try not to get into this habit, or try to gently wean yourself!!!

Hi Lisa,

This sounds like a good idea - yes I would like that. I have had my Zopiclone for tonight so off to try get some sleep but speak to you real soon can go into more detail. Send me a PM if you like anytime.

Love, joe x

Hi all

I just thought I'd tell you a bit about my experiences with Zopiclone. Hoping it might help!

I've been on and off it for years! Up to 15mg a night. I, personally, have never had any major problems coming off it (having said that, as soon as I start having anxiety, I'm straight back on it, so I suppose there's a psychological dependency there)!

I've had 3 pregnancies in the last year (sadly, no babies) and as soon as I found out I was pregnant, I came off it overnight - because I knew I had to!

I'm currently back down to 7.5mg (after being on 15mg for nearly 3 months). I'm hoping to get down to 3.75mg (my maintenance dose!) but then, eventually, come off it again!

My advice would be, cut down slowly (for the psychological effects cutting down can have on you, as much as the physical side effects). In my experience, it can be done. If you worry about the dose too much, you add to your anxiety and you will not sleep! I've taken 15mg and got absolutely no sleep...yet, I've also taken nothing and slept well! I think the key to my insomnia is ME, not the medication! Yes, it helps, but the more I worry about not sleeping, you can guarantee I won't sleep!

If anyone wants to PM me, please do.

Caz xx

Re: Zopiclone...anyone come off successfully?

Hello LizaD,
    I have been taking Zopiclone etc.
    My email address is pacmanthony@googlemail.com

Quote Originally Posted by LisaD View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for someone who has taken zopiclone, and were able to wean themselves off. I have been taking it for 3 months now...I was initially prescribed it when I was in an acute anxiety state because I was barely sleeping 2 hours a night. I am now also on citalopram, which is helping. I sleep about 4-5 hours after taking the zopiclone, then wake up, but I am able to get back to sleep after about 10 minutes or so. After that I usually sleep 2 hours, then wake up again, then back to sleep etc etc. I am off work at the minute, so I am thinking that this would be a good time to try to do the weaning. My psychiatrist said that the fact that I don't sleep well after the zopiclone wears off may be a sign that I still need it. But I don't feel panicky when I wake up, it just feels like a weird rhythm by body has gotten into, and maybe if I stop taking the zopiclone it may learn how to sleep normally again???? I am also scared about trying to wean myself off, because I tried halving the tablets for 3 nights, but barely slept 2 hours, and almost sent myslef off the edge from the anxiety (but I was also way more anxious then than I am now). Anyone have any experience/input on this matter? I want to stop taking it, but I also have only recently been feeling relatively "normal" so I don't want to risk a relapse. Arrgggg, so frustrating!

Lisa

Re: Zopiclone...anyone come off successfully?

Hello LisaD,
    I've taking Zopiclone etc., I hope I can be of some help...
    Paul...
    pacmanthony@googlemail.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information