Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: has anyone been cured

has anyone been cured

Hi all, was just wondering has anyone recovered fully from anxiety/panic/ and different phobias? I mean 100%. I don’t really think so. I mean cured no medication also no alcohol, as alcohol is also a drug that I used to use regular to hide from my fears. I know I am lots better now than I was 12 months ago and that’s without alcohol I stopped drinking about 18 months ago. I believe we can come to terms with anxiety and with use of right tools can lead an almost normal life, and even eliminate panic attacks. But has anyone really recovered 100%. I recovered and had hardly no symptoms for about 12 years then they returned about 14 months ago. Can we possibly say if we are cured even because who knows if they will return again in the future, which seems very common in lots of people to be ok for years then suffer again. As I say I feel lots better at the moment but notice when I get a real problem I seem to head back that way and have to work hard to keep these feelings at bay. Take care you all. Vernon

I'm not on medication and whilst I can down a few bottles of beer or bubbly on occassions , I don't drink regularly or to medicate.

I have a full time job, a busy family life and lead the life I led before panic struck -apart from the hours on this forum that I didn't do before..

wil the light at the end of tunnel go out suddenly

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hiya Vernon - How long is a piece of string?

Cured is a bit of strange word I think as the fight or flight instinct is there for a reason, to protect us from harm. It is like saying can we ever be cured from falling in love (this I am sure has hurt most of us at one time in our lives). If I met a man who proudly boasted that he was cured 100% from ever falling in love I would run a mile, the same as I would if anybody said they 100% turned their desire to be safe, respect life and live off!!!!

We just all need to get healthy anxiety into perspective - don't do drugs (they really can kill), moderate the fats and alcohol, and enter into an existance that makes our lives feel fulfilled - that is all I am aiming for anyway! I accept that I am a control freek, list maker, plan b obsessive but I also accept now that living like this can push your anxiety over the edge. I am kinder on myself these days, and on others and am on my way to as cured as I will ever be (still being me).

Those are my thoughts anyhow - for what they are worth - interesting post though, can't wait to see how everyone else thinks about this one.

Have a good weekend Vernon, we are having a chinese (naughty), wine (worse) and a DVD night tonight - Boy do I know like to live dangerously...LOL[8D]

I dont think we can ever be free but i think we learn how to handle them better and stop the anxiety before it goes to panic.

I havent had a attack in months i work part time do my shopping and go out and i look after my 3 kids.

Cured? no, learn to live some kind of a life around it? yes, live life in the same way as prior to this? no.

Kate

Hi angib. You said...(Cured is a bit of strange word I think as the fight or flight instinct is there for a reason, to protect us from harm. It is like saying can we ever be cured from falling in love) I didn’t mean the anxieties everyone gets every so often I meant us nervously ill who's anxieties are amplified and blown out of all proportion

I've often asked the same question myself Vern, in fact I remember posting a very similar topic about a year ago.

Unfortunately, most of us here can't speak from experience on this one (one of the downfalls of these places is that when people become 'cured', they tend not to come back).

So, without the experience, I can't really answer that question fully, but I have opinions on it.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote"> I didn’t mean the anxieties everyone gets every so often I meant us nervously ill who's anxieties are amplified and blown out of all proportion</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    I believe you can diminish the foundations that has created our 'nervous illness'. By this, I mean, I believe we can reach a state where our general anxiety levels are the same as what they were before.

What I think holds us back on this one, is our memories. Anyone who has suffered any length of time has many negative memories practically ingrained into them, and all those memories will remain to a degree. The downside is that these memories can trigger further episodes in the future. Even on your non-anxious days you will know yourself that you can come across a particular situation, event, sight, place, or sound, that can have a negative effect on your anxiety levels. These will diminish with the anxiety, but I believe it would be difficult to reduce it to the level that you had before the anxiety started.

I've been thinking about this a little lately though. I don't know if anyone else gets this, but I can often change my perceptions on things in a short space of time. Very much like when you look at the stars and after a while you begin to create an awareness of how small and insignificant everything is, and in turn, your perception changes slightly and you begin to think differently. I can do this in many different contexts though, usually only lasts a few minutes, but lately I've had a few of these experiences and I've literally felt like I was 15 again. And I don't mean young, I mean I felt (for a few minutes) like I had the same frame of mind as I did when I was 15. In other words, without the anxiety. That got me on to thinking about letting go of these negative memories. I think it can be done to a degree, maybe not 100%, but still a considerable amount. Don't ask me how though. [:P]

Meg

I once remember you saying that you still carried a 'rescue pack' around with you (if I remember rightly). If that's true, I'd be interested in hearing some of your thoughts and opinions on it.

mico

hiya vernon,

100% cure is a lot to ask for but i feel 85% cured, i sufferd with ocd for 16 years and never thought i would escape. but the road to recovery has been hard and the last 5 months have been so 'free'- i feel free from my thoughts my compulsions and HAPPY i never imagined i would ever say that but it happend. was a tough long old road. i am heading for 95% maybey 98%, 100% sounds too scary. take care x

thats great to here mynydd
    , hope u just keep getting better and better take care, Vernon

I don't believe I will ever be the person I used to be but I am fairly happy as the person I am now - warts and all!!

As for my life, well it has turned around more in the last 2 years than it ever did for the first 9 years of suffering and that is good enough for me for now.

There are things I still want to do and I will start pushing myself again but I just wanted to enjoy some years of being "normal" whatever that is.

Nicola

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information