Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Harming others....Intrusive thoughts....

Re: Harming others....Intrusive thoughts....

Sorry that you feel that way!
    But check out the symptoms of purely obsessional OCD as well. Kind of sounds like you might have some of those symptoms as well.

Try any methods that you can that improve your outlook.

I'm on meds right now and looking to buy a book and workbook for OCD.
    About a year ago around this time I was plagued by health anxiety. I had been getting headaches around finals week in school and I had never felt them before. I went to the doctor so many times saying my head hurts here, maybe it's a sinus infection.... I kept trying to diagnose myself with all kinds of things. Then I heard that a woman back at home was diagnosed with a brain tumor. She had reported headaches that came all of a sudden. I had just had a headache that was so splitting and sudden I thought I was going to pass out or even die. I had a panic attack that night and was scared every day that I would get a headache again.. and then I started worrying that the headache could have been the first signs of a tumor. I was told I had tension headaches but I didn't believe the diagnosis. I still believed that I had a "brain tumor" and I spent hours and hours every day searching for the symptoms of a brain tumor to see if I had them. I became depressed, obsessed, and full of anxiety. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, I was afraid I would die in my sleep.. I was afraid that I would choke on something if I ate. I was living in fear. It was horrible. Every day I would talk to my mom and ask her if I was okay and repeat myself and my questions over and over again. I couldn't get the thoughts out of my mind. I failed three classes that semester. I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression and put on meds. Those seemed to really help but I still had some anxiety during that first year on meds. I had to switch meds twice because of weight gain. This summer I was able to go off of meds for three months and it felt great! When school started again the anxiety started coming back and the intrusive thought were the first thing. I went to the doctor the other day complaining that something wasn't right and then I was diagnosed with OCD. I looked up OCD on various sites and found most of my symptoms fall under purely obsessional OCD. Needless to say, I feel SO much better knowing my main problem is OCD and I know where the anxiety comes from. Just know that you will be okay and you won't do those things. I know how scary the thought are.

Do what you need to do! Be strong!

Hi All,
    This is my first post and felt I had to register and reply as It means so much to me to realise I'm not alone and others have the same problem too.
    I cried like a baby reading this thread, I think it must be a massive release of pent up anxiety and stress over the years thinking I was going mad.

I've been putting off getting any sort of help or even googling the problem because I was afraid of finding out I was psychotic and should be locked up.
    Everything I saw that could be used to harm someone would suddenly jump into my mind, i.e a hammer or knife etc would set it off.
    I have been getting to the stage that I didn't want to go into the kitchen because of the knives or stroke my cats who I adore because I was afraid I would hurt them or even being next to my girlfriend or standing too close too family members would set it off.

I've had some serious depression and anxiety over the last two months which certainly fuelled the problem and made it worse.
    It was worst at the start but I would like to recommend a product that has definitely helped with the anxiety and the thoughts don't seem to get "stuck" as much in the mind.
    udos choice oil
    I've been taking it for two months and can see an improvement.
    It's very nice to add to food and essential oils have been shown to help with OCD.

I'm off to see a psychiatrist and nutritionist this week as I'm sure a lot of my problems are down to a bad diet and many years of not taking good care of my body,i.e too many stimulants etc.

God bless and I hope everyone who has this problem gets all the help they need to overcome it.

Think this is Pure o - to be honest I have mild traits of this for years and just thought it was me - didn't even know it had a name. It comes under OCD but because they are thoughts Pure o - I was symptom free of this for 15 years untl my prozac stopped working am in a right state now - as doc won't put me on any more until I have been seen by a psychiatrist - it is horrible and distressing and takes over your life.

Now on another quest to find the rights meds. May I ask what meds you are taking and if they are helping.

Thanks in advance.

Laura

---------- Post added at 16:40 ---------- Previous post was at 16:39 ----------

There is a heading on here I put on called Pure O

Yes, would be interesting to hear what medication people have been taking. I had a day where all I could think about was spitting in people's faces or attacking them. I know I don't want to do it and have never followed through with these thoughts in the past, but it's still really annoying when these thoughts lodge themselves in my mind and won't go.

I'm currently having CBT which seems to be helping - I'm now trying to get on with life and do things and not let the thoughts control what I do. However like a bad smell they follow me around and get in my way. I guess the fear I have is that I may act on them someday - even though I haven't yet, the fear is that I might.

Citalopram just made me hyper and tense which made the thoughts worse whereas fluoxetine seemed to help at times yet made me hyper/tense at others. If needbe I'll try that again but at 10mg (I was on 20mg) but was wondering if there are any other meds out there that helped with the intrusive thoughts? If the healthy lifestyle/CBT doesn't work I may need to start taking them again

Thanks all!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information